HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Header, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   DC Ceramic coatings (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/dc-ceramic-coatings-25362/)

pWnEdU 07-15-2006 09:00 AM

DC Ceramic coatings

I have always used ceramic coatings on my exhaust parts. Like on my truck I had before this car, I had the exhaust housing of the turbo coated, the manifold, and the downpipe... all to keep the exhaust temps up, thus keeping the velocities up.

But my question is, does DC ceramic coat there headers for that purpose or just to prevent corrosion? I've been doing a lot of reading and noticed many people complain of rust and higher underhood temps with the ceramic coated versions and they would recommend the stainless.

The reason I wanted ceramic is because I thought it would keep velocities up and heat out of the engine compartment... but apparently it's just a cheap anti-corrosive in this case?

I think maybe I'd just get the ceramic anyways and use header wrap.

Does everyone agree?

ef4life 07-15-2006 09:07 AM

RE: DC Ceramic coatings

it will keep the temps down underhood, but the main reason is for it is corrsion. stainless headers look really nice when they are all polished and blued. a header wrap will most likely void the manufacterers warrenty.

pWnEdU 07-15-2006 09:10 AM

That's interesting, why would that void the warranty and how would they even know in the first place?

There's no way I'm spending an extra $120 on a header that's already expensive just to get some bling.

Chimera02EX 07-15-2006 09:31 AM

The header wrap will void the waruntee, why and how do they know, I'm not sure, but if anything goes wrong while it's under waruntee and you wrapped them you just wasted a lot of money.

I have the DC ceramics, and although after a year I'm starting to see minor rust around the cylinder flange and I don't have the heat shield on so it does get a wee bit hotter under the hood, they still work fantastic and were clearly the better value than the stainless, in my opinion.

rdss 07-15-2006 09:40 AM

Exhaust wrap has been known in the past to contrast and constrict the pipe possably cracking it. Amagine something the can get wet wrapped tight around a hot piece of metal, it only makes sense that it would shrink when it gets hot. I am not sure if the new wrap has this problem or not, this is just what I have heard.

mikeyb16a2 07-15-2006 10:04 AM

this seems to be a case of u pay for what u get the cheaper ceramic wont be as durable wont look as good and probably wont give as much performance gain as a stainless dc sports header, for that little extra buck think of how much more bang u going to get

pWnEdU 07-15-2006 10:30 AM

The type of material has nothing to do with performance gains. This all comes down to durability.