HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Header, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   Difference between brands and off brands (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/difference-between-brands-off-brands-27617/)

leek248 08-21-2006 02:53 AM

Difference between brands and off brands

I was wondering if anyone could tell me the actual difference between buying headers, intake, or exhaust from such companies as AEM or magnaflow compared to some random brands off ebay. The price difference is huge so i was wondering if there really is a difference in performance or something other than warranty and name on the products.

psychocivic 08-21-2006 04:10 AM

RE: Difference between brands and off brands

QUALITY, especially for headers and exhaust. as far as the intake goes you can buy the piping off of ebay and just get a K&N filter or something, that will work just as good as any other intake. but for headers and exhaust, you have to worry about welds and sound and size(exhaust). dc sports, megan are both good headers. greddy, apexi, magnaflow, ...... are good exhausts. depends on how much you want to spend. and if you want quality over quantity then save some doe.

leek248 08-21-2006 09:35 AM

When you say its better quality what do you mean? Looking at the pictures it looks like offbrand headers are weilded pretty well. I mean i guess the metal, ceramic, or whichever material used could be better quality for a brand name but does that really make a difference in performance that'll make me want to spend like 300 more dollars? The exhaust seems to be all the same basic designs and the only difference been able to figure out is that it will make a better sound but i still dont' understand how a brand name exhaust or header can hands down out perform an offbrand with the same basic designs.

So i guess im just wondering if quality just means the parts will last longer or can you really feel a difference in the end with brand name parts than off brand parts.

koots 08-21-2006 09:47 AM

Research and development is what makes the name brands so pricey. but they work on making the right exhaust for each application they sell. they do sound quality test to make sure that it is comfortable to higheway drive yet has a performance sound. they also look at flow and back pressure and they put together a kit that will bolt in with little to no modification. some of these e-bay kits will probably have none of the things i just mentioned.

But if you want to save money now go ahead. but it may cost you more when you need to replace it or the welds bust leaking exhaust everywhere killing your power,sound and gas mileage. i don't want you to fall victim to a bad part.

BillyB98 08-21-2006 11:27 AM

just do some searching and try to find the best price on quality, name brand items. Take the time to look and you should be able to find some low prices for good products. As for the intake psychocivic said it right. Just get some tubing and throw on a better filter