HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Header, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   dual exhaust (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/dual-exhaust-87918/)

shahabr 03-08-2011 06:23 PM

dual exhaust

I wanted to run a dual exhaust for my 01 Civic. By dual i mean one exhaust coming from the left end and another on the right end.

Do you guys suggest anything?

reaper2022 03-08-2011 07:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Buy two identical mufflers and call your favorite local exhaust shop. Spend five minutes debating with whomever answers the phone over whether or not dual exhaust is possible on a civic. Arrange an appointment, drop the car off, pick up the car in a few hours.

At least that's what I did (in my defense, I was 16).

I wouldn't recommend duals on a civic though... I'd assume there's a body kit involved, but what happens should you decide to remove the body kit? I assure you it's not pretty.

Attachment 8042

Also, if you're like me, you'll have to spend a lot of time cutting through thick exhaust pipe (exhaust shops don't mess around) should you choose to remove the duals later down the road.

Shandles 03-08-2011 09:24 PM

this thread is already hilarious!

shahabr 03-09-2011 12:38 PM

I do have a body kit on my Civic. Lol, you have some good points but down the road i wouldnt be thinking about taking off the body kit or exhaust cause it's an old car anyway... if you want I can show u a pic of my car so you can tell me what you think.

cvcrcr99 03-09-2011 01:58 PM

Have fun and post up! I can imagine that 90% of the forum members will tell you to start looking for OEM bumpers etc. once you post pics though. :D

However, it is ultimately what you like best as it is your vehicle.

If you prefer the look of OEM bumpers but do not want to invest in them, I am sure you can post up on Craigslist asking to trade for OEM bumpers and some kid will jump on that. :p

reaper2022 03-09-2011 02:58 PM

Modified my old kit (close to 75 hours' worth of work) and traded it for a set of OEM bumpers (actually a spare set since I still had my old bumpers) and $100. Best trade I ever made... got an OEM front lip out of the deal too :D

And I'd just like to point out that I had a body kit for less than a year before I got tired of it and swapped back to stock. Stock body + massive drop > close-to-stock height + body kit.

mrsemperfi25 03-29-2011 06:38 AM

im planning on putting dual exhaust on my car its a 2001 ex civic and im just trying to get some general information like how will it affect the engine, and how will it sound with glass packs.

Shandles 03-29-2011 07:40 AM

it will sound ****ing ****ty. dual exhaust on a 4 cylinder is stupid.

and before anyone says it, yes, I know the s2000 has dual exhaust. but if you get on any s2000 forum you will notice many of them change it out for a single exhaust and get a "bumper cap" to fill the empty space where their worthless other exhaust pipe used to be.

IMO its stupid and "ricey" to put dual exhaust on a civic because it doesn't actually give you any advantages. Its only worth while on a v-8 where each exhaust manifold has its own pipe. But like I said, thats just my opinion...

reaper2022 03-29-2011 01:31 PM

Even V-configuration engines could easily use single exhausts via a y-pipe; most V6 and V8 exhausts have an intermediate pipe, whether an X-pipe, H-pipe, or resonated 2-in/2-out muffler, that mixes exhaust gas from either bank anyway.

And contrary to popular belief, dual exhaust on a civic will actually make the exhaust quieter as each muffler will have half as much flow. I still wouldn't recommend it as it's a useless modification with absolutely no power benefit and just looks out of place on an economy car.

Shandles 03-29-2011 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by reaper2022 (Post 753343)
Even V-configuration engines could easily use single exhausts via a y-pipe; most V6 and V8 exhausts have an intermediate pipe, whether an X-pipe, H-pipe, or resonated 2-in/2-out muffler, that mixes exhaust gas from either bank anyway.

And contrary to popular belief, dual exhaust on a civic will actually make the exhaust quieter as each muffler will have half as much flow. I still wouldn't recommend it as it's a useless modification with absolutely no power benefit and just looks out of place on an economy car.

I was referring to the use of glass packs making the civic sound ****ty. but otherwise, yes, they look out of place and "ricey" (since its a "power" mod that actually adds no power whatsoever)