Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

DX and EX

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 10:51 AM
Default DX and EX

So, what's the difference between a aftermarket header for a DX and EX??? I've seen them both and look like the same **** to me????? Everyone is saying if you want a header on a DX it must be made for a EX but, you still have the same problem.... CEL and Cat.???????????

Old 08-13-2007, 10:53 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: DX and EX

there is no such thing as a dx header. the ex is the only vehicle that has an aftermarket header. you have to convert your dx exhaust to ex standards. you won't get a cel if you properly change everything over.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:47 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well mostly the DX has the O2 sensor plug up HIGH in the header..... and the EX has the O2sensor way back in the collector/exit....

and with the DX the cat converter is a part of the header... so to use a aftermarket header you realy need to get a EX exaust so you can keep the cat converter to stay legal! and with some higher priced headers they come with a O2 extension plug to relocate the O2 sensor to the rear of the header.... i tried extending my wires BUT didnt work at all i had that stupid CEL light come on so i had to re solder wires back together and then had to plug that front port and then had to drill and weld in another O2bung in the rear of the DX aftermarket header to put my O2 sensor where its at from stock.....
sucks BUT it works

Old 08-13-2007, 08:31 PM

nice car!!!! My car has two o2 sensors. One in the top of the manifold and one in the cat. that's connected to themanifold. My aftermarket header has two bung holes and came with a extension but, sense the secondary o2 was in a cat at first and now it's just in the header, it's giving the same reading to the ecu as the primary o2 sensor.(both sensors giving the same reading). This is making the car run rich(more gas than air,wrong mixture) which in return , makes the car smoke and CEL to come on....now what?? Add a cat behind the header or a simulator?????? Will the simulator fix the reading so the car doesn't smoke or just trick the CEL?????

Old 08-14-2007, 05:03 AM
Recognized HCF Member

its worth a shot to trick the computer....

Old 08-19-2007, 06:42 AM
HCF Member

I have a Hedman Chikara Header that is designed for the D16Y7. it is basically an EX header and has no cat. but i think there is a company that makes a Carb legal header but it is in the 500-600 dollar range. i don't imagin it does improve very much either with the cat in the way like that.
Just get a universal OBD2 cat and just get some EX badges to fool the inspectors, if they have any brains that is...