HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Header, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   DX to EX exhaust recommendations (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/dx-ex-exhaust-recommendations-61513/)

pwcracker2002 02-26-2008 04:50 PM

DX to EX exhaust recommendations

Ok, first off this is my first post so bear with me here. Im looking for some suggestions on header and exaust. I have a 98 civic dx with a 4-2-1 header with a straight pipe. This thing is loud and obnoxious as can be and what im looking for is a quieter setup. Im going to do a mini me swap for a Y8 head and intake next month so I need an exaust that will accomodate the added hp from that. If you guys could point me in the right direction i would greatly appreciate it. thanx.

FlipHKD720 02-26-2008 05:19 PM

RE: DX to EX exhaust recommendations

keep the header, get an EX/OEM cat, and then get a Megan, Apexi, GReddy, or custom Magnaflow exhaust. That'd sound good.

devney 02-26-2008 08:16 PM

Carsound high flow cats are good, along with a catback exhaust of your choice. Flip mentioned some good ones.

pwcracker2002 02-27-2008 07:41 AM

great, i appreciate the suggestions. so for the catback would i need a dx exhaust or an ex or are they the same? also, does the cat bolt up directly to the header or is there a pipe between them. im trying to figure out if i can do this myself or if i need to take it to a shop. sorry for the idiotic questions.

devney 02-27-2008 07:48 AM

Depending on the cat you get, you may or may not have to have flanges welded on. My carsound cat didn't have flanges on it. If you get an oem cat I'm pretty sure it would. It would bolt right up to the header. When you buy an exhaust, buy it for the car that you have, for the best fitment. So a DX exhaust if your car is a DX. If everything is a straight bolt up then it should be a pretty easy job for you.

FlipHKD720 02-27-2008 08:26 AM

^ if he gets the cat, then he needs the EX exhaust. The DX's exhaust is the length of a cat longer than that EX since the DX's cat is up in the OEM exhaust manifold. If you find an OEM EX cat, it will bolt onto the header, no welding required. Then get an EX catback for the same year as your car and you'll be set. It will bolt up to the cat (since thats the way the EX is stock), and no welding will be required. Just hanging up the exhaust hangars and bolting the mid-pipe to the cat.

devney 02-27-2008 11:50 AM

ORIGINAL: FlipHKD720

^ if he gets the cat, then he needs the EX exhaust. The DX's exhaust is the length of a cat longer than that EX since the DX's cat is up in the OEM exhaust manifold. If you find an OEM EX cat, it will bolt onto the header, no welding required. Then get an EX catback for the same year as your car and you'll be set. It will bolt up to the cat (since thats the way the EX is stock), and no welding will be required. Just hanging up the exhaust hangars and bolting the mid-pipe to the cat.
Thanks for the correction. Didn't know if ex and dx bends were the same.