HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Header, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   Ebay Mufflers: Yay or Nay? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/ebay-mufflers-yay-nay-88111/)

TheStig 03-23-2011 07:41 PM

Ebay Mufflers: Yay or Nay?

This caught my eye...

At 70 bucks, free shipping and an easy diy installation it's almost too good to be true.

If I put my car into the compatibility drop down menu it says "This part doesn't fit the vehicle you entered." Scroll further down and it says "Fits 92-00 Honda Civic 2DR / 4DR Only." Would it fit my car or not? How would the quality be? Would it really add 10-15 hp? How would it sound? Is it a direct bolt on to the stock system?

Thanks,
Stig

WellFedHobo 03-24-2011 04:14 AM

In the picture, the inside of one is already rusting.

Also, says for "offroad/racing use only".

That's a copy of something good. It will sound like a pissed off lawn mower. You don't wanna do that.

TheStig 03-24-2011 07:47 AM

Thanks, I guess that's that. I still want a direct bolt on muffler. Any suggestions?

I found these two:
92-00 Honda Civic 2DR/4DR Axle-Back Bolt-on Exhaust Muffler
1992-2000 Honda Civic 2DR/4DR Axle-Back Bolt-on Exhaust with Carbon Tip

Those don't say "for off road and racing use only," and they are stainless steel, so rusting shouldn't be a huge problem.

Shandles 03-24-2011 08:10 AM

I wouldn't trust the quality of shifty looking parts like those. Go with a good name brand like Apexi. Many people like the WS2. It sounds good, looks good and isn't too loud despite being a straight-through design. (and yes, it is a straight through design, it just doesn't look like it)

cvcrcr99 03-24-2011 11:13 AM

Exhaust is a get what you pay for mod.

You will not gain 10-15 hp. Maybe 1-2 if you replace the entire cat-back. The axle back exhausts you are looking at will only change the sound.

The sound of a good quality muffler will last for a while, if you go cheap, it will start to sound raspy and gross within 9 months.

TheStig 03-24-2011 12:11 PM

Does anybody have a link to any good quality direct bolt- on axle back exhausts? I really do not want a universal muffler. I want to be able to do it in my driveway with a jack.

Generally does a cat back come with a new catalytic converter?

The two mufflers that I posted above: Would the quality of the metal be around that of the stock one? ie: would it rust at around the same rate as a stock Honda system? All I really want is to at least match the quality of Honda. A'PEXi is nice, but way too expensive for my budget.

cvcrcr99 03-24-2011 04:14 PM

I do not know of any axle back systems. I am sure they are out there though.

The term "cat-back" refers to everything behind the cat converter.

The exhaust might or might not rust, hard to tell. However, cheap ones will sound terrible after awhile IMO.

TheStig 03-24-2011 04:45 PM

What makes the sound change after a while? Is it just a matter of getting tired of the sound, or is it literally something in the muffler goes bad and changes the sound?

cvcrcr99 03-24-2011 06:29 PM

Fiberglass in the piping burns off, or goes bad, making the exhaust sound raspier

Shandles 03-24-2011 07:03 PM

more expensive mufflers often use a metal mesh that helps to hold the fiberglass in. You get what you pay for with mods like this. After I get my wheel situation figured out (should be picking up steelies this weekend) then I plan on buying an entirely new exhaust system. It's gonna be a spendy mod, but if I do it right it should last me nearly the life of the car... or at least as long as Ill have the damn thing.