HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Header, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   End of an Exhaust Tip (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/end-exhaust-tip-94265/)

Micah_Dude 10-02-2012 07:12 AM

End of an Exhaust Tip

Hello,

I recently bought a 2000 Civic Ex from a Craigslist user. The car is mostly stock, with the exception of a K&N intake, aftermarket header, and a loud exhaust tip. I've thought about cutting the tip off, but it is welded around the muffler near base. If I cut it off, very little muffler tip would be left. Would that be a problem? Would I have to worry about the fumes damaging the body of my car around the exhaust? Is there another straight pipe that I could weld onto the end?
Any suggestions are welcome.
http://tinypic.com/r/1e19nc/6

http://i46.tinypic.com/1e19nc.jpg

cvcrcr99 10-02-2012 07:20 AM

Tips do not make any sound change. Mufflers, cat converters, resonators, holes in the exhaust piping change the tone. ;)

Micah_Dude 10-02-2012 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99 (Post 782372)
Tips do not make any sound change. Mufflers, cat converters, resonators, holes in the exhaust piping change the tone. ;)

Thanks for the info.

Could my header be changing the exhaust sound? It sounds like a fartcan, and I've begun to get complaints from neighbors. I've considered doing an entire exhaust system change, but the car has 150k miles and I'm not sure how much money I want to put into it.

cvcrcr99 10-02-2012 09:45 AM

Header, yes, but doubtful unless there is a gaping hole in it.

Fart can usually refers to the muffler. I would suggest to inspect the entire exhaust system for cracks and holes.

Micah_Dude 10-02-2012 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99 (Post 782375)
Header, yes, but doubtful unless there is a gaping hole in it.

Fart can usually refers to the muffler. I would suggest to inspect the entire exhaust system for cracks and holes.

I'll do that. I've spent the past couple hours researching exhaust systems and headers... considering buying a DC Sports exhaust system with a Megan Racing header. Not sure if it's worth the cost, though.

Micah_Dude 10-10-2012 09:02 PM

I'm planning to buy Yonaka Motorsports Catback system. From what I've heard on youtube, it sounds good, and it's only $255.
With 60 mm piping and the 4.25" tip, will that work well for my car.

HaulinAzz 11-21-2012 06:49 AM

I have the Yonaka stainless cat back on my 99 SiR. I listened to so many sound clips and listened to some civic cat-backs in real life. Let me tell you, if you don't want a raspy ricer sound go with the Yonaka. It sounds better and deeper than any civic cat-back I've ever heard. Even the Magnaflow sounds ricer comapred to the Yonaka. However, when installed with a DC header and magnaflow cat I could no longer run the factory ECU as the oxygen sensor could not keep up. Even when I installed a new OEM sensor. I run a p28 chipped ECU instead. It tied it all together nicely.

cvcrcr99 11-21-2012 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by HaulinAzz (Post 783507)
However, when installed with a DC header and magnaflow cat I could no longer run the factory ECU as the oxygen sensor could not keep up. Even when I installed a new OEM sensor. I run a p28 chipped ECU instead. It tied it all together nicely.

W....T.....F are you talking about. The sensors couldn't keep up? You installed a high flow cat....meaning it will not filter as much carbon etc from the exhaust. The ECU, which looks at the o2 sensor readings, determined that the sensors were bad, or the cat was bad since the cat was not showing to filter enough of the crap out.

Replacing the sensor and having the same problem means you replaced the sensor for no reason. Running an OBD1 ECU in an OBD2 vehicle is usually asking for trouble when going for emissions testing depending on where you live.

Apexi is a GREAT company. It sucks when someone can just copy it, make a small little change, send the drawings to China to be produced for a stupid cheap price, and call it their own. The company I work for has to deal with it all the time in this damn auto industry. It is terrible.

HaulinAzz 11-21-2012 09:13 AM

Did I say the cat was high flow? Nope. Again....learn how to read. Just like your other posts. Hahaha. It isn't a high flow cat. Just a stainless OEM grade replacement from Magnaflow. The CEL was from the pre cat sensor. Not sensors as you stated. There's only one for reading the air/fuel ratio. Do you have two for some reason? Therefore your theory means nothing. The other is just to make sure the cat is doing it's job but that's not the code it was throwing. I installed new O2 sensors when I installed the new exhaust system. When I got the code I re-installed the old O2 sensor to rule out a bad new O2 sensor. I didn't change it because I got the code. Also, I don't have emission testing here. Haha. Just because you bought a civic with the engine swap already done and the suspension lowered for you doesn't make you a pro. Just a know it all which you clearly don't. No wonder people don't want to come to this forum. LOL!

cvcrcr99 11-21-2012 09:19 AM

Wait. I bought a car with a motor swap in it? When? I hope your not talking about the Integra. You can PM me if you want to continue this conversation.

Also, stop unnecessarily posting in 2 months threads. The OP hasn't been on here since 10/19.