HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Header, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   Exhaust Header - Please Help! (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/exhaust-header-please-help-93464/)

MarshMellow 06-12-2012 04:49 PM

Exhaust Header - Please Help!

Hi, I'm new to the Civic modification world. So for give me if my terms are incorrect, or I sound like a complete moron.

My 2002 Honda Civic LX (1.7L) has a busted Exhaust Manifold. It was suggested to look into a Aftermarket replacement for a lower cost compared to the OEM replacement. While researching just that, I found that it much cheaper for an "Exhaust Header" - But this does away with the Catalytic Converter. Further research opened up question upon question - which trying to research those questions has landed me on this forum. Unable to find a direct answer to my current dilemma, I figured it best to just post/ask..

So here goes: I want to replace the Exhaust Manifold with an Exhaust Header. Only issue is I do not know what will work - or what to buy.. I'm working with a very tight budget. I don't have the money to replace the entire Exhaust all at once, so I need to replace it in parts - Starting with the Exhaust Header, since my Manifold is busted.

It seems the ones available on ebay are priced low, but not the best value. At least from reading the many post on this forum and a couple others.

My question is: Is there an inexpensive Exhaust Header that will last more than a couple months (preferably years) yet will work with the stock exhaust system (until replaced.)

Oh, and I do not want to have to weld anything.. Because I want to be able to go back in and replace the rest of the exhaust when the money is available.

Also, I know replacing the Exhaust Manifold with a Header will leave the car with no Catalytic Converter.. Will this cause the car to sound really really loud? (Trying to avoid this since the police in my area are harsh against it)

Thank you for your time and help!

Decil 06-13-2012 11:54 PM

I have a '95 Civic, I just installed an all new exhaust system in it today.

Now I know your car is newer, but are you sure that an exhaust header would take out your converter? On mine, I ran a pacesetter header (4-2-1 system) to a new magnaflow converter then to a magnaflow cat-back system. Have you actually looked at your exhaust system yourself? I would see if the downpipe coming off the manifold connects to the converter, if it does than the proper set of exhaust headers will connect right to the converter.

To address your issue on finding parts that fit and are of good quality, I would look on AutoAnything's website. You can search for pieces that are direct bolt-on for your car, plus there are a lot of reviews on the products to guide you in choosing what brand to get. I'd also suggest using the "chat" feature they have, it will allow you to ask someone any questions/concerns you might have, plus when I did this I asked about special offers, and they drop $100 off the price. That could allow you to get a high-end part while staying within budget.

Goodluck!

cvcrcr99 06-14-2012 08:36 AM

Yes, the 01-05 Civics have the cat built right into the manifold. Just like the 92-95 VX hatchbacks, and the 96-00 Non-EX/SI Civics.

Deleting the cat will make the car louder, yes, but with a stock exhaust kit (with exception to the header/cat), it won't be too bad. Make sure you will not run into emissions problems in the future by removing this converter.

MarshMellow 06-15-2012 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Decil (Post 778894)
I have a '95 Civic, I just installed an all new exhaust system in it today.

Now I know your car is newer, but are you sure that an exhaust header would take out your converter? On mine, I ran a pacesetter header (4-2-1 system) to a new magnaflow converter then to a magnaflow cat-back system. Have you actually looked at your exhaust system yourself? I would see if the downpipe coming off the manifold connects to the converter, if it does than the proper set of exhaust headers will connect right to the converter.

To address your issue on finding parts that fit and are of good quality, I would look on AutoAnything's website. You can search for pieces that are direct bolt-on for your car, plus there are a lot of reviews on the products to guide you in choosing what brand to get. I'd also suggest using the "chat" feature they have, it will allow you to ask someone any questions/concerns you might have, plus when I did this I asked about special offers, and they drop $100 off the price. That could allow you to get a high-end part while staying within budget.

Goodluck!

Yes unfortunately the cat is inside the manifold. My poor civic is currently sitting in the garage with the manifold out, waiting for me to find a replacement of some sorts.. So have taken a look at the exhaust.

Will certainly check out that site. Thank you for mentioning it.

- It seems Pacesetters does not make headers for the 2002 LX.. they stop at 95.

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99 (Post 778900)
Yes, the 01-05 Civics have the cat built right into the manifold. Just like the 92-95 VX hatchbacks, and the 96-00 Non-EX/SI Civics.

Deleting the cat will make the car louder, yes, but with a stock exhaust kit (with exception to the header/cat), it won't be too bad. Make sure you will not run into emissions problems in the future by removing this converter.

Glad to know it won't be to bad, 'cause the police in my town are very very uptight about loud cars. Its a rather small/quiet town. Cops don't have much else to do but be jackasses about little things.

No emissions requirements in my state. But I do plan on putting an entire new Exhaust system (with a cat) as soon as I can.

Thats why I'm looking for a header that will fit with the stock so I do not have to weld the stock exhaust to the header. If I did weld it, then I would have to replace it when I am able to get the rest of the Exhaust System.

Thnx for the reply

MarshMellow 06-15-2012 08:04 PM

I seem to have found a Header.. Brand is Megan Racing.

Is that a good brand to go with.

Just don't see any Cat-Back system made by Megan Racing for the 2002 LX.

Decil 06-16-2012 09:22 AM

I don't know anything about that brand, but I'm sure that you could find some reviews for it if you search around. That's how I chose my parts.

You don't have to use the same brand throughout the entire exhaust. I found a magnaflow cat-back and converter that were direct bolt-on to my car for ease of installation, then I went for Pacesetter headers that were also direct bolt-on. It all went together pretty nicely, the only pain is getting the springs bolt on securely.

MarshMellow 06-26-2012 10:56 AM

Update - Received the Megan Racing Header today.. It looks to be slightly longer than the OEM Manifold.

Will the cause an issue on install?

Zoz 11-08-2012 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by MarshMellow (Post 778840)
Hi, I'm new to the Civic modification world. So for give me if my terms are incorrect, or I sound like a complete moron.

My 2002 Honda Civic LX (1.7L) has a busted Exhaust Manifold. It was suggested to look into a Aftermarket replacement for a lower cost compared to the OEM replacement. While researching just that, I found that it much cheaper for an "Exhaust Header" - But this does away with the Catalytic Converter. Further research opened up question upon question - which trying to research those questions has landed me on this forum. Unable to find a direct answer to my current dilemma, I figured it best to just post/ask..

So here goes: I want to replace the Exhaust Manifold with an Exhaust Header. Only issue is I do not know what will work - or what to buy.. I'm working with a very tight budget. I don't have the money to replace the entire Exhaust all at once, so I need to replace it in parts - Starting with the Exhaust Header, since my Manifold is busted.

It seems the ones available on ebay are priced low, but not the best value. At least from reading the many post on this forum and a couple others.

My question is: Is there an inexpensive Exhaust Header that will last more than a couple months (preferably years) yet will work with the stock exhaust system (until replaced.)

Oh, and I do not want to have to weld anything.. Because I want to be able to go back in and replace the rest of the exhaust when the money is available.

Also, I know replacing the Exhaust Manifold with a Header will leave the car with no Catalytic Converter.. Will this cause the car to sound really really loud? (Trying to avoid this since the police in my area are harsh against it)

Thank you for your time and help!

Don't know the price of the original, but if you can afford, go for a DC sports 4-1 mani. It's straight on for the D17, just some (probably really rusty) bolt. The price is around 300. If you go for the small 4-1 and not for the 4-2-1 and not for the "long" 4-1 mani, you can keep the cata, will have no problems... or am i misunderstanding something?