HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Header, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   exhaust recommendations (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/exhaust-recommendations-89693/)

Pagan 07-12-2011 09:39 AM

exhaust recommendations

so recently my exhaust on my 1996 honda cx just snapped in half and sounds as if i have a short 3 in pip coming from the manifold halfway from the front to the back of my car. so as of now im waiting to see if either i should go all out 3 in pipe under the car, just replace the whole exhaust system with the convertor, or go all out aftermarket. what would you guys recommend?

cvcrcr99 07-12-2011 10:26 AM

Unless the car is turbocharged, do not buy 3".

Read up on the 96-00 CX/LX/DX to EX style exhaust. Most exhaust kits are meant for the EX, forcing you to convert as it will not fit with the factory exhaust manifold/cat.

Pagan 07-12-2011 11:22 AM

will this ex style exhaust make it sound like deep or would it make it sound like a disgusting **** box lol...

MaximusFunk 07-12-2011 01:26 PM

its just a fitment style. Instead of having the cat/manifold combined, the cat is about 10'' long underneath the car.

So if you wan an exhaust you have 3 options:
1) Keep the cat/manifold and get a test pipe and a catback exhaust.
2) get oem EX manifold along with EX cat and a catback exhaust.
3) get aftermarket header with an EX cat(or high flow aftermarket cat) and a catback exhaust.

How the exhaust sounds will depend on what type of exhaust you get, whether your test pipe is resonated, whether you get a header, whether you wrap it, etc.

cvcrcr99 07-12-2011 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Pagan (Post 760707)
will this ex style exhaust make it sound like deep or would it make it sound like a disgusting **** box lol...

Did you research it at all? If you use all OEM parts, the sound will not change. Changing to the EX style will essentially relocate the cat converter under the car and allow you to buy an exhaust kit for direct bolt on installation.

WellFedHobo 07-12-2011 02:27 PM

If you want that deep sound, get an Apexi WS2 muffler or a Vibrant muffler. Both are nice.

Dee911 07-12-2011 02:52 PM

iv also heard for mufflers that the Apexi N1 is pritty good

Pagan 07-14-2011 02:06 PM

i just searched up some examples of the Apexi and the Vibrant and I must say the Vibrant is probably the one that i might have to partake of. Anyone around Massachusetts have any extras laying around or willing to sell some or know where i can purchase one for cheap? and also, anyone know of a place where they specialize with Civics? Id prefer those who know what to do then those who guess on it. lol

Dee911 07-14-2011 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Pagan (Post 760887)
i just searched up some examples of the Apexi and the Vibrant and I must say the Vibrant is probably the one that i might have to partake of. Anyone around Massachusetts have any extras laying around or willing to sell some or know where i can purchase one for cheap? and also, anyone know of a place where they specialize with Civics? Id prefer those who know what to do then those who guess on it. lol

if your willing to switch up on which exhaust u want i have some 2nd hand ones that my buddy at a shop just has laying around at his shop there dc sports and 3A racing and a couple others. otherwise let ebay be your friend. I always looked at Procivic.com for parts but truth be told they are pricy compared to ebay

Pagan 07-15-2011 03:10 PM

that would be sick, i wouldnt mind, sometime next week id like to meet up if thats cool and wheres this shop we can probably meet there. are you located around MA? im around Northborough, MA if that rings a bell.

i just searched both 3a and dc sports and im really liking the sound that the 3a is making