Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Header for a 01 Civic LX?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 08:13 PM
HCF Member
Default Header for a 01 Civic LX?

I've looked around for some a good header for my 01 Civic LX. I'm planning my build out now, so when I get the money over the winter, I can start getting everything ready for when the spring comes (by ready, I mean ordering and stuff :P).

I'm going with AEM V2 Intake, GReedy SP2 or Magnaflow exhaust(i'm leaning more towards the SP2), now.. My only real problem is the header. I can't find a good quality header for my LX, most of them are for EX models. I'd like to have ceramic header since they hold heat better, and the quality is a little better. But if not, I could settle for stainless. I'm still not sure if I want top end gains with 4-1, or mid-gains with 4-2-1, so i'll still have to decide on that. I've checked Procivic, andy's auto sport, autosportcity, and some various other sites for a good header for my LX, but i've had little-to-no luck at all [&:]. I've found plenty on eBay, but then again.. I don't want some eBay header thats probably garbage.. So my searching hasn't been going too well on my header, I was hoping for some assistance, if anyone can find me a good site with a good header for a 01 Civic LX, and i'll appreciate it greatly, because i've failed so far.

I'm just trying to get a wishlist figured out, so I know how much money I need to save up(I know i'll need around $1,000, considering i'm getting the top-of-the-line stuff), and so I don't have to worry about finding this damn header that i'm having such a hard time finding [sm=smiley26.gif].

Anyways, any help is greatly appreciated (comments, and criticism is welcome too).

Old 11-21-2007, 09:18 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Header for a 01 Civic LX?

Anyone? Mmmm.. Well, if anyone doesn't mind giving me some recommendations or anything, I would greatly appreciate it. Because as stated before, I can't find ANYTHING, other than some cheap $150 eBay header .

But, I need some suggestions for my setup. I'm not much of a engine-modder, i've only done some basic stuff, like.. H/I/E, nothing major. My plans for my LX is i'd like to get H/I/E settled in, then work on the engine a little and get it ready for a turbo kit. I'm sure they got turbo kits that would fit an LX, right? Also, what more could I do that would benefit my engine in terms of horsepower/performance? I hear getting new camshafts/gears help a little, and performance pulleys. But, as I said before, i'm not too knowledgable about modding an engine, and so forth.. So i'd love to hear everyones comments and suggestions, for those heavy modders out there.

Comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:26 PM
HCF Member

if you have plans to turbo, don't do IHE; you'll just have to upgrade the parts later. then intake gets replaced with the charge piping, the exhaust with one that has a even larger diameter, and the header with the turbo manifold.

also, there's no header just for the LX. you'll need to get a EX one and convert you're entire exhaust setup to that of a EX. the cat for an LX is built into the header, so if the header goes, the cat does too.

if you want serious power (300+HP), the d17 is not the way to go. if you just want a few ponies, a little bump in gas mileage, and an incresed throttle response, just do IHE. even turbo IMO isn't worth it. by the time you get parts/labor (this is where the price will run up exponentially if you don't DIY)/tuning/etc... you'll be near the price of a K series swap, a much more capable engine.

good luck whatever way you go.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:56 AM
HCF Member

Ahh... Mmmm.. That makes alot of sense, thanks >_>.

So can you tell me exactly how to do a EX exhaust setup? Because all I know is the LX piping isn't long enough and stuff.. I've only heard some details, but not much. I mean, I know I can't just go buy an EX exhaust and Header and hope for the best >_>. I heard I need to get a longer downpipe, and stuff like that? (Correct me if i'm wrong).

I heard the d17 isn't the best engine to mod.. But, I heard it wasn't too bad if you turbo'd it. So thats why I suggested it. I know i'd probably get alot more out of a K or H motor swap, but they seem to cost alot, but.. I guess it would be more worthwhile than turbo-ing a d17, right?

All i'm really wishing to do is get about 300hp with my LX. I got 115hp right now, so I got awhile to go. I know with the I/H/E, i'd be lucky if I got up to 150hp with I/H/E. I just want a little fun car to have, and a nice mod project. I'm not looking to make one of the fastest civic's ever. But, I really appreciate your wisdom my05civic, and I hope I can get some more to help me lean into the right direction. Thanks!

Old 11-22-2007, 10:09 AM
HCF Member

300HP from an d17 is a really high goal. the only civic i know that has 300+ is that of a user named supermex (aka. Hector). he's put probably $20,000+ into the engine and car.

I/H/E, on a really day will realistically yield 10HP. the max gains would be near redline, but that's where gas mileage goes down greatly. additionally, the 115 HP on paper doesn't really translate 100% over in reality. you're utilizing probably only 100-110 ish max (near redline). don't feel bad though... i was really naive when i started modding my car [&:]

anyways, if you want to convert to a EX setup, read this thread for some good info: http://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1923282

also, now that i think of it, a LX owner might be able to use a header without converting... i think dezod.com has something, but i can't find it at the moment. hopefully another user will chime in who know what i'm talking about...

btw, here's supermex's car: http://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1772982

Old 11-22-2007, 10:48 AM
HCF Member

you can't turbo 7th gens without changing up the fuel system and changing out the intake manifold. for some reason they have a returnless fuel system and a plastic intake manifold... stupid pos's

Old 11-22-2007, 01:32 PM
HCF Member

My05civic, Thanks. That site gave me some good advice and a decent start. They mentioned Dezod has most of the stuff i need, from the guy that posted that LX/EX diagram of the header. So, if I got a K series swap.. Would I have to change my I/H/E? Or could I keep them? Seeing everyones opinions on the d17, it doesn't sound too good for serious modding. So, I really just need some basic ideas of what I can do to my car as far as performance goes, without getting a swap yet. (I eventually planned to build off of I/H/E, then try to find some other performance mods I could do while I get money for a swap). More or less, what more can I do to my car while I wait for an engine swap, that'll be somewhat worth while, and get it built up more? A engine swap seems to be my best bet, and i'll stick to peoples words when they say the d17 isn't meant for serious modding. I'm sure you guys know what you're talking about :P. Also, do they make seperate intakes too? I might have failed to noticed.. But, like.. Do they have EX SRI, and LX SRI? I mean.. To me, it seems like it shouldn't matter, since the engine bay isn't that much different EX/LX wise, other than the EX has a vtec.

But, thanks for the help. It's been VERY useful so far. I really appreciate the help thus far, and would appreciate more. This really helps steer me in the right direction.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:14 PM
HCF Member

If you get a k series engine, you will need to get a new intake and header, but the exhaust can be modified to still work. Most people that are waiting to do a swap usually do suspension upgrades and exterior first. However, if you just want a few ponies to run around town in, go ahead and get IHE. you'll like the sound and throttle response. when you swap to the K engine later on, i'm willing to bet people will buy your parts for a pretty good price. the best place to buy parts imo, is on online forums used. the things that i've bought are in really good condition as described, and most of the time, they're HEAVILY discounted from retail price. i have a lx engine, but the intake i bought used was designed for a ex engine, so, i'll have to say it fits.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:48 PM
HCF Member

Ahh.. The K20 I was looking at on www.hmotorsonline.com is a nice $5,500.. Geesh, but it comes stock with 220hp, so thats pretty good. And the transmission is a 6-speed too, so that is kinda cool. But thats quite alot for a motor.. And I heard I gotta buy additional parts, so that would be around $8,000 bucks.. Wow.. I only paid $5,000 for my 01 Civic LX with 108k miles on it, haha.. But its in great condition.

But I guess i'll spend about $1,000 on I/H/E.. I'll go with AEM v2 Intake, Megan 4-2-1 Header, and probably a GReedy SP2 exhaust. I'd especially want that when I do exterior mods.. I mean come on, if I had a badass looking civic, and a station wagon could beat me, how pathetic would that be? :P. Also, where is a good online forum that has good parts? I havn't really heard of any =/. I'd like to get some cheaper stuff, besides buying everything brand new and save me some money.. I mean, hell.. I wouldn't care if I had a used header, as long as it did the job and it was in pretty good condition.

Now, on that honda-tech site you linked it says...

"If you want to use aftermarket EX exhaust parts you going to have to get the following:
1)EX aftermarket header
2)EX downpipe/cat assembly (Dezod.com carries a radom tech one)
3)EX catback of your choice
4)Your secondary O2 sensor will need to be lengthed to fit in it's new location.
^in that setup everything will bolt up."

I understand #1, and #3. For #4 Would I need to splice the secondary O2, or need additional wiring..? Also, on #2 what does it mean I need a downpipe/cat assembly? I don't exactly understand. I thought the cat already came with a downpipe? I figured all I would need is the EX header, and EX exhaust and i'd be good to go >_>. I looked on Dezod and didn't really see anything that said that(about the downpipe/cat assembly). I don't really know what a cat assembly is, either.. I understand i'll need a downpipe, since the EX header is shorter and stuff.. I'm just trying to understand everything so I don't go ahead and mess everything up when i'm ready to actually get my parts :P.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:43 PM
HCF Member

You need to buy an o2 simulator or extend the o2 sensor yourself

here's what you need:

This one i posted is a random tech downpipe with a hi flow cat built in. you can get any downpipe you want. ebay is fine as well...

Quick Reply: Header for a 01 Civic LX?