HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Header, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   Hobo needs budget exhaust suggestions (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/hobo-needs-budget-exhaust-suggestions-87889/)

WellFedHobo 03-06-2011 01:05 PM

Hobo needs budget exhaust suggestions

My engine swap is pending but I want to look ahead to exhaust. My current header is cracked like all of them do with age. If the whole engine is coming out, I might as well do exhaust too, right? All of this is coming in the next 6 months so I'm getting excited about my car again. It is finally nearing the completed vision I had for it about 3 years ago.

I'm going with an OEM-spec rebuilt D16y7 engine. The engine will have a y8 intake manifold on it. The manifold will have an SRI attached. This will allow the best possible mostly-stock option for me. The engine will be stock but will breathe a little easier. The exhaust is the other half of the equation.

I need something that's a good upgrade but works like stock or better. This means a functioning catalytic converter. (We don't have inspections in Arkansas but I want it to be legit.) I want to get a nice 4-2-1 header (or 4-1, what do you think?), legit aftermarket cat, pipe with resonator, and a muffler that's low profile and quiet. I don't need anything big and loud. I don't want to draw attention to my car.

What do you guys suggest?

I'm okay with ebay as long as someone has good feedback on it. Just understand that after all this engine swap spending, I wont have much else to work with for a long time.

StifflersMom 03-06-2011 03:07 PM

DC 4-2-1 out of the budget?

WellFedHobo 03-06-2011 03:32 PM

Might be. Ceramic or stainless?

StifflersMom 03-06-2011 04:38 PM

Ceramic is the only way to go. It really is.

Scott53092 03-06-2011 08:16 PM

Kiddracing header! 350 for one though. I recommend a Megan racing, they do fit well and aren't expensive. Or get a dc on craigs. I paid $60 for my 1 piece (not common) 4-2-1 ceramic dc, the one before that was a 2 piece I paid $40 for. Brand was unknown but tubing seemed a lot thicker and better quality than an eBay. It is insanely hard to find a 4-1 for d series.

Quick question, why not just mini me it for a lil extra hp? Y8 is like $80 by me.

StifflersMom 03-07-2011 04:34 AM

Because a Y7 with a Y8 mani will not be much less than a Y8. Once you let that head breathe it's as good if not better flowing than the Y8... and if he decides to turbo it down the road - no VTEC = less moving parts...

WellFedHobo 03-07-2011 05:21 AM

Vtec is overrated. I don't ever rev that high anyways. I like my fuel economy.

Shandles 03-07-2011 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by WellFedHobo (Post 751759)
Vtec is overrated. I don't ever rev that high anyways. I like my fuel economy.

agree'd. Hell, I've considered an LS build for this reason. Plus, it would piss off all the fanboys on HT. :D

MaximusFunk 03-07-2011 12:19 PM

something i was considering a while ago was piping and axleback from an integra sedan(which is 2'' compared to 1.75'' civic). The stock civic EX cat is 2'' diameter, and you could get that for like 30 bucks from someone and it flows better than the manifold cat. I got a $50 header from amkracing.com. the welds were good, and its been on for 2 years with no complaints or cracks.

This set up could be cheap, low profile, and would give you 2'' all the way through. goodluck with whatever you decide though.

WellFedHobo 03-09-2011 06:04 AM

I'm still gonna have to find an aftermarket catalytic converter that's NOT a test pipe. I can see this thing costing more and more.