Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

HOW TO CLEAN AND OIL YOUR AIR FILTER

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 02:45 PM
HCF Member
Default HOW TO CLEAN AND OIL YOUR AIR FILTER

If you don't know already, that huge filter on the end of your intake is doing nothing good for your engine unless you oil it. The oil is what makes the filter active and therefore grabs all the particles out of the air trying to get into your engine.

You can pick up a K&N air filter RECHARGE kit at pretty much any auto parts store for around 10 bucks. It comes with cleaner and the oil. The cleaner is to get the old oil off and get all the nasty things off to make your air filter like new again. If any of you have your car taken it to an auto shop for anything, the service people may throw your RE-USABLE filters away because they look dirty.

This whole process only takes around 40 minutes, so unless you have some time or an extra filter to put on, don't do this because you can't put your filter back on soaking wet.

Step 1. Apply the CLEANER to the inside and the outside of your filter. (This is known as the clean side and the dirty side) Make sure both sides are evenly coated. Let your intake sit for about 10 minutes while the cleaner soaks in. DO NOT let the cleaner dry on your filter.

Step 2. Rinse off the filter with low pressure water. I'm using the hose on the sink in my laundry room. You can use a sink or an outside hose, anything that's low pressure water. Just allow the gravity to carry that grimey mess away. Make sure all the cleaner is off, it'll feel slimey if it's not. Mine was pretty dirty, the water was black. You do not need to get EVERY SPECK OF DIRT off of the filter. Removing large stubborn debris may damage the filter.

Step 3. After rinsing, shake off and inspect for damage. Do not use the filter if it's damaged. Now let it dry naturally... Or if you're pressed for time, swing it around like a crazed lunatic and just watch the water fly off! You should notice a difference in the color of your filter after rinsing. Mine had like grass and bugs tucked up in the pleats. Gross.

Step 4. Oil the filter. You'll most likely have the aerosol spray can of oil. To use this just spray it evenly along the crown of each pleat. ONLY PUT OIL ON THE OUTSIDE (DIRTY SIDE) OF YOUR FILTER. Let it sit for about 20 minutes after spraying. If the filter is still dripping oil, you've put too much on! You gotta restart all over again, way to go. If your filter is NOT dripping oil then you're okay. Use a flashlight and check the inside of your filter (clean side) for any areas that may be lighter than others. This means they didn't get oil or enough oil. Fix this by spraying the dirty side.

Depending on what type of filter you have, you may want a thin or thick coat of oil. I just did one coat because I have no idea what an AEM filter is supposed to get.

Step 5. Before reinstalling the sticky *** filter on your intake, check for damage again. Do not use a filter that does not seal properly onto your intake.

Step 6. REJOICE! You can now drive around and think about all that clean air your engine is sucking in. Also, because there's better airflow you'll be sucking in MORE air. This kit is designed to get 100% out of your filter, and let me tell you, it works.

Note* I'm gonna add pictures to this when I get home from work. I gotta resize them all, unless somebody PMs me and tells me how to do that whole thumbnail thing...

Old 12-08-2006, 02:53 PM
Administrator
Default RE: HOW TO CLEAN AND OIL YOUR AIR FILTER

nice write up dude...i have the AEM no-oil filter on my V2

Old 12-08-2006, 03:25 PM
HCF Member

lol

Old 12-09-2006, 10:50 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: drbyers