HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Header, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   How long will it take this n00b to install a cheapo CAI? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/how-long-will-take-n00b-install-cheapo-cai-8407/)

Auto98EX 08-04-2005 06:35 PM

How long will it take this n00b to install a cheapo CAI?

I'm curious to see if I can really tell the feel the difference between stock airbox and a CAI. I just want to see what all the fuss is about :D but I don't really feel like blowing $250 on AEM or similar just to satisfy my curiosity, so I'm considering just grabbing an off brand on ebay. I'm wondering how difficult it is to remove the stock airbox and related parts, and how long anyone thinks it should take for a n00b like me to remove it and install the CAI. I also would be interested to know what tools are needed to do such a job. I have front wheel ramps and a rather hodge-podge collection of wrenches and screwdrivers, but that's about it.

Any other input or advice would be appreciated as well. If I manage to do this without destroying my car and I like the results, I may "upgrade" to a nicer intake later, but for now I'm really just playing around for fun.

Chimera02EX 08-04-2005 08:13 PM

RE: How long will it take this n00b to install a cheapo CAI?

ok I'd say about 2 hours for install. Definately gonna need a torque wrench, and a screwdriver. Shouldn't need more than that. Good luck!

Nail I3unny 08-04-2005 10:15 PM

i think all he really needs is a ratchet...all it really is is pull it off, put the other on

JDMracer00 08-04-2005 11:07 PM

dude, I just got one off eBay...a pretty blue one and I'll be the 1st to tell you...it pulls AWESOME all through the powerband over stock. And by the way. All I needed was a flat head screwdriver and it only took me about 10 minutes to put it on...I was changing from a short ram tho.

Street Sniper 08-04-2005 11:09 PM

What the hell do you need a torque wrench for on a CAI install?

Chimera02EX 08-05-2005 08:06 AM

LOL not a torque wrench, a ratchet sorry was a bit drunk at the time of post wasn't thinking. *hangs head in shame*

ngoti 8tor 08-05-2005 08:12 AM

ORIGINAL: Chimera02EX
LOL not a torque wrench, a ratchet sorry was a bit drunk at the time of post wasn't thinking. *hangs head in shame*
There's that old......."I was drunk at the time".

Please don't Drink and Post! **hic** [sm=icon_cheers.gif][sm=icon_guiness.gif][sm=partyparty.gif]

GSRDevil 08-05-2005 03:49 PM

ORIGINAL: JDMracer00

... All I needed was a flat head screwdriver and it only took me about 10 minutes to put it on...
I was ready to unfurl the BS flag on him and then

ORIGINAL: JDMracer00

...I was changing from a short ram tho.
I finished reading. lol

Yeah, fishing that resonator out takes a little bit of doing but if you were short ram already :D[sm=badbadbad.gif]

Auto98EX 08-05-2005 04:05 PM

Call me a n00b (since I am) but what is the resonator and why is it difficult to get at? Pics would be great but I'll settle for an explanation ;)

GSRDevil 08-05-2005 04:12 PM

Everybody gotta' start somewhere.

The resonator is that big hunk of plastic that your car used to have to draw air through into before the airbox and filter. It somewhat mutes the intake sound

Just seems like when I took mine out for every inch of resonator I got out I had to remove two more screws from something. It's not hard. Just a pain in the @$$ 'cause you think you got it and you really don't.