Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

How long will it take this n00b to install a cheapo CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 04:14 PM
Default RE: How long will it take this n00b to install a cheapo CAI?

I'm assuming that having the car on stands/ramps and removing the front bumper plastic are pretty much prereqs for a CAI install? Anything else I should know beforehand? All this info is very helpful, thanks.

Old 08-05-2005, 04:18 PM

I didn't remove my front bumper. Just the right wheel and the fender liner shroud and some other little plastic stuff

Old 08-06-2005, 01:44 AM
HCF Member

i took my resonator off just for sound... but i have a dark force SRI in the mail on the way to my house.

Old 08-06-2005, 02:14 AM
HCF Member

it will take a monkey an hr to do it.

Old 08-06-2005, 09:21 AM

ORIGINAL: Auto98EX

I'm assuming that having the car on stands/ramps and removing the front bumper plastic are pretty much prereqs for a CAI install? Anything else I should know beforehand? All this info is very helpful, thanks.
cai's aren't too bad, you need to remove the 2 bolts on the underside of the front cover, then the 2 side screw (1 per side) then pop your plastic panel pieces, and your cover is off, then its pretty self explanatory from there, and i personally have a ebay cai, and its not nearly as nice as the aem's etc.. but it gets the job done, if i wan't boosting soon i'd get the nicer one, on the ebay cai's your mounting points wont be as precise as aem's injen's etc., and NO you don't need to put in on jack stands or a jack for that matter to change this

Tools needed: 10mm wrench/socket, phillips screw driver, and flat head screw driver to pop the plastic body clips

Old 08-06-2005, 09:25 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: pcupo12

it will take a monkey an hr to do it.
so a noob should be able to handle it in an hour and a half or so

Old 08-06-2005, 10:35 AM
HCF Member

man im suprised it took that long for that post.........i set it up i was just waitin for someone to say it.

Old 08-06-2005, 11:11 AM

Ah OK so I should be able to handle it in just under 2 hours [sm=alcoholic.gif]

Old 08-07-2005, 10:53 AM

you should be able to handle it in under 30 minutes man

Old 08-07-2005, 07:23 PM

OK more questions... I dropped by the local Advance Auto and cracked open what they had in stock (APC Civic SRI) and ran through the instructions, then looked under my hood. Looks pretty simple for the SRI, but what extra steps should I know about for the CAI? Also, one of the three bolts holding the stock airbox in place doesn't even look like a removable bolt to me... looks more like an impossible to grip pyramid type thing, at least from the top. Do I have to get at this one from underneath, or is it just that worn down?

I would show pics but I broke my digital camera last week when I was taking pics of the car with the bumper off [:@] I doubt my camera would be able to get a worthwhile pic of something so small and tucked away anyway.

Quick Reply: How long will it take this n00b to install a cheapo CAI?