HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Header, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   how much to install headers (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/how-much-install-headers-27358/)

dcc183 08-16-2006 08:30 PM

how much to install headers

I was going to get some headers for my Civic Hatch DX, I was thinking Megan Headers from Ebay would be the best bet for my budget right now. I was wondering, what would it cost to get the headers installed at a local auto place? Is this a simple or hard process or should I just do it myself and save money? I am good with some cars stuff but don't have a ton of tools and I am not a mechanic.

Any help is appreciated.

smit3413 08-16-2006 09:23 PM

RE: how much to install headers

if you have no experience with a header installation you should get a friend to help you who has or get it installed at a shop. make sure that friend has a torque wrench though...
but someone else chime in with how much a shop charges - shouldn't be to bad

psychocivic 08-17-2006 01:03 AM

get a haynes manual for torque specs and do it yourself. have a friend there too just for moral support. once you do it yourself, you will be able to help out your friends that need it done too.

as for a shop......well they would charge just labor and say about an hour at that. so $50-100 depending on where you go.

Sleepin95CivicDX 08-17-2006 07:25 AM

i myself had no experience when i bought my megan racing header for my 95 civic dx. it was very easy to do tho. first remove the heatshield (might consider not running your car for a while beforehand because it tends to get really hot). after the heatshield is removed, remove all the nuts holding the exhaust manifold onto your head, i think there's something like 9. after this is done, remove the 2-3 bolts holding the cat converter to your header. once this is done, just shake it around a bit to remove it, it takes a little bit of force. but once you have it off, then just bolt on the new header. USE NEW GASKETS! and you might want to have some wd40 around, it helps A LOT with those rusted old bolts. jack the car up before you do this too, it'll make things much easier. good luck!

Froznface 08-17-2006 07:28 AM

Psycho is right. Before I opted to do my whole exhaust myself I called around pricing how much all the exhaust shops in my town would charge. Not a single one would install the header (they consider it a part of the engine and wouldn't even touch it). They all quoted me about 50-80 bucks for the cat-back exhaust though. The best thing to do is get a service manual, a torque wrench, and the correct sockets to fit the nuts on the header. Then be patient, take your time, and save your money by doing it yourself. I did my stuff without any help, but having an extra set of hands would have been nice, and it was my first install ever.

mentaldis0rder 08-17-2006 08:23 AM

i tried to get my header installed at a muffler shop.. they wouldnt do it cuz its custom.. keep in mind,, when u swap the header on most civics.. the exhaust manifold probly has the cat converter attached to it.. the header replaces this.. so you have to relocate and weld in place that stock cat.. or buy another which is what i did while replacing the whole exhaust.. the test pipe that came with the exhaust was used for making the new hi flow cat to bolt in place.. this had to have the flanges cut off and each flange welded onto the ends of the new cat so it could be bolted on after the header.. after doing this u have to install one of the sensors on ur header.. then you have to have an exhaust shop weld an o2 bung behind your new cat converter then extend the wires for that sensor to install.. if not you will throw codes and get check engine light.. then your car will not run right.. keep in mind this is only for the civics which have the cat converter mounted directly to the manifold..

BillyB98 08-17-2006 08:49 AM

Do it yourself. Youll save money and learn a little bit along the way. Good luck

Sleepin95CivicDX 08-17-2006 10:46 AM

like 98civicdx said, do it yourself, it't not hard at all, just make sure you have the right tools and be patient. you'll learn and it's also fun

civicexracer 08-17-2006 11:38 AM

save up the money for more mods and do it urself:D. its pretty easy, the only thing that u might have problems with is the O2 sensor but hopefully it wont be seized on there..

dcc183 08-17-2006 04:16 PM

Alright, Ultimately I am getting just do it myself. I have installed my intake, and painted my valve cover in the past, so I should be able to do this I am guessing.

How much would a torque wrench cost? How much for new Gaskets?

Oh, and anyone have an install DIY with pics for this?