HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Header, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   (installed with pic)putting a intake in a dx (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/installed-pic-putting-intake-dx-7165/)

mill$civic 07-05-2005 08:49 PM

(installed with pic)putting a intake in a dx

ok i just orderd up a new short ram intake for my dx..i no i no..its a dx..but i got a question about installation..on my pic u can see where i put the red line, for this tube it breaks right at the fule rail into 2 tubes (hard to see),one goes into the air box and the other into the throttle body, when i put my intake in, what am i sopposed to do with that tube that goes into the intake part? will there be a tube that attaches from the new air intake to that im guessing.. and the air senser..is there a place to plug that into the new air intake....i havent got the intake yet so im just making sure i can install it as soon as i get it with the know how to do it..thanks

[IMG]local://upfiles/2140/428E534092B248259961C57481A89A5F.jpg[/IMG]

sacicons 07-05-2005 09:53 PM

RE: putting a intake in a dx question

i no i no..its a dx..
yeah, so is this.;)
or it was.:D

best way to do this is to replace those lines with rubber hoses that connect them all the way. get rid of the metal lines.

[IMG]local://upfiles/436/F8E21F4C12A242068A325DBB624D33D5.jpg[/IMG]

riceburner700 07-05-2005 10:56 PM

is that baby carberated?????

Forty04 07-06-2005 06:54 AM

Here is a pic of what i did. Since my CAI did not come with a spot to put that line, i installed one of these small breathers. If this is a bad idea would someone please let me know? I saw it done this way on some local guy's ride and he said he didnt have any problems with it. These things are like 10 bucks..

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...7_130_full.jpg

Super Mario 07-06-2005 08:09 AM

you might not have any problems right now, but come smog time........ you'll notice it. I believe thats the EGR hose that leads to the intake mainfold. It also helps relieve some pressure in the actual engine itself. It's kinda like a turbo, but it's not forced induction. EGR(Exhaust Gas Recirculation) is a utility on the smog components. It takes a little bit of exhaust gas and puts it back into the intake manifold to help the engine burn a little cleaner. I forgot exactly when this system is actiually used(ie:idle, low rpms, high rpms....)

Forty04 07-06-2005 08:50 AM

So besides smog tests its ok? Cause in michigan, we don't have to take a smog test.

ngoti 8tor 07-06-2005 09:05 AM

Just to help out:

Exhaust Gas Recirculation
The most effective means of tackling nitrogen oxides is to use Exhaust Gas Recirculation [EGR]. This technique directs some of the exhaust gases back into the intake of the engine. These gases have already been used by the engine and no longer contain much oxygen. By mixing the exhaust gases with fresh air, the amount of oxygen entering the engine is reduced. Since there is less oxygen to react with, fewer nitrogen oxides are formed. This can greatly reduce the amount of nitrogen oxides that a vehicle releases into the atmosphere.

Forty04 07-06-2005 10:06 AM

ok, let me put this is simply as possible. WILL IT HURT MY ENGINE?!?

ngoti 8tor 07-06-2005 10:58 AM

ORIGINAL: Forty04
No, it will not hurt your engine, it's only to cut down the air pollution.

Forty04 07-06-2005 11:17 AM

ORIGINAL: ngoti8tor

ORIGINAL: Forty04
No, it will not hurt your engine, it's only to cut down the air pollution.

Thanks buddy

mill$civic 07-06-2005 11:40 AM

ummm ok..so i guess with the tube that goes into the intake right now, i hope on the new intake there will be a spot to hook that up to and somewere to put the air senser..

Forty04 07-06-2005 11:52 AM

Yes there will be. But chances are it will be like mine where theres the spot for that tube, the hole for the sensor, and then you'll have to do something with the other tube like we mentioned above

neon3kgt 07-06-2005 02:12 PM

that breather goes into the intake so the engine uses the air from the oil area to burn. i have heard that oil and gas fumes are worse for the ozone than what comes out of the tailpipe, so they run it through the engine. and i also heard that the black stuff on your air filter is from that too. so you might get a little oil out of that breather too...

Forty04 07-06-2005 02:15 PM

um, that breather doesnt go into the intake, did you even look at the pic? It comes off the back of the head..

mill$civic 07-11-2005 08:30 PM

RE: (installed with pic)putting a intake in a dx

i just finised installing my intake (soon to be getting a extension for it), here is the pic I took,it is so loud when it is suckin in the air.. thats for the help guys,once I got the intake it was pretty easy to install ,just had to clean the bay up a little, by the way, anyone know what the litte extention where i put the yellow cover on is for?

[IMG]local://upfiles/2140/F3219BECF93F4F12987E67AA604541F8.jpg[/IMG]

Remmy 07-11-2005 09:58 PM

Yes, I do. Its for another hose. Dont worry about it. It looks like you bought a universal kit. Other applications require 2 hoses but hondas dont... it looks like you got a D16Y7 in that thier engine bay.

I think its good you went with a ram intake. From where I live, it works out better. It floods in Charleston alot ad a cold air doesnt work very well... even though you can get a bypass valve... i kinda dont trust em.

siccdawg 07-20-2005 03:37 AM

so in other words.... can i forget the whole rubber hose thing and put a breather on the head instead? and just cap off the hole on the pipe?? so, the only thing connected to the intake pipe is the sensor.....is that safe?

sacicons 07-20-2005 08:15 AM

that hose is actually there to remove the gases that gather in the valvecover from the heating oil. ive heard of a few rare cases of that gas actually building up to the point that those little filters can actually cause a flashfire and it burned the hell out of the engine bay. just stick a hose on there. and i just woke up, so someone correct me if im wrong, but isnt that the PCV? Positive Crankcase Ventilation? I would assume that to recirculate Exhaust gases, one would somehow need to access the Exhaust. not the valvecover;)

Dogmeat 07-20-2005 10:03 AM

Since everyone is showing thier intake pr0n...I guess I'll join in.
Short ram, with the hose to re-inject those extra gasses

[IMG]local://upfiles/3798/1AC674CBDD1743959C1434EE96274D3F.jpg[/IMG]