HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Header, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   Intake manifold (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/intake-manifold-25733/)

pWnEdU 07-20-2006 06:44 PM

Intake manifold

I've done a lot of porting and polishing on f/i engines, but I'm new to n/a. I was thinking about porting my stock intake manifold as opposed to buying a skunk2.

Has anyone else tried this? I bet you can make enough of a gain at the cost of a few die grinder bits that a skunk2 is pointless... but I haven't looked too close at the stock manifold, is there enough room for improvement?

riceburner700 07-20-2006 10:27 PM

RE: Intake manifold

yes you should open that manifold up it will deffinitly alow more air into the engine

Marty 07-20-2006 10:31 PM

Your stock manifold will do all you want it to w/o being ported in a NA application. All it will really help is throttle responce and maybe give a slight hop(not jump) in mid range tq.

pWnEdU 07-21-2006 05:35 PM

Interesting... then why are people dumping so much money into those skunk units?

I do plan on getting a larger throttle body though, I need a snappier throttle.

pWnEdU 07-21-2006 06:33 PM

Most of the porting I've done had been on forced induction engines, like my laser race car or the dodge I used to have... I did some porting on the monte race car (406) but it was minimal.

I know that N/A engines are a lot less forgiving. When I ported for forced induction, I actually left the walls rough on purpose because it got the air tumbling better.

So on the intake manifold, should I polish it smooth and just make all the runners smooth and even? I would just port match it to the size of the runners in the head and smooth it out basically...

Marty 07-21-2006 07:06 PM

People dump that money on them because they are mis informed and do not know how good a stock honda intake manifold actually is. On the porting I have allways been of the mind that you port but not polish so that there is some what of a rough surface to atomize the fuel into the air.

D16Punk 07-22-2006 11:40 AM

Yeah, I heard that the 99-00 Y8 manifold was one of hondas best. PLus all the horror stories people had with Skunk 2's manifold it just don't seem worth it. I have to get mine p & p basically, cause the HX was quite small compared to the EX and such. I would just switch it for the Y8 Manifold but the HX has the damn EGR valve and if I were to switch it I would throw a check engine light. But yeah, I'd stick with just the Y8.

pWnEdU 07-22-2006 04:24 PM

What is the most popular throttle body size for an upgrade on the y8? I hear a lot about the 62mm... can you get those off a donor car or does it need to be an aftermarket unit.

Will my aem v2 hook up to the larger throttle body?

D16Punk 07-22-2006 11:39 PM

I'd say go with between 60-62 mm. You can either get your throttle body bored out, or buy an aftermarket one. Yes, the intake will fit.

I also hear that B series throttle bodies are interchangable, but I could be wrong.

Nail I3unny 07-23-2006 12:39 PM

all honda I4 TBs are interchangeable.

i agree with marty. you wont get much of a gain anywhere but throttle response. like he said...not many people are aware of how good stock honda manifolds are...both intake and exhaust.