Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Intake manifold making big noise?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 12:33 PM
Default Intake manifold making big noise?

Hello everybody. I got a Honda Civic EX 2002. I have been hearing a noise that resembles an old chevy. Somebody told me i could be the manifold. How do i know if it's that what's cause that noise? Could somebody tell me how to test it? How to know? what to look at?

Thank you!

Old 09-21-2006, 06:02 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Intake manifold making big noise?

a nosie could be comming from it if it is cracked take your exhaust shield off and check if you see ne cracks

Old 09-21-2006, 09:46 PM
HCF Member

I think he was saying that he thought something might be wrong with the intake manifold...
Although checking the exhuast manifold is a great idea...mine exhibited symptoms similar to yours and it was cracked...just got the dc header installed yesterday.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:06 PM
HCF Member

i think the original poster was referring to the exhaust manifold (although not stated as exhaust).

What was cracked with yours. the intake or exhaust manifold ??
When you used the word "although" - appears that checking the exhaust manifold is NOT a good idea; but then you say "it was cracked" - so "it" was what manifold ?
if you got the header on, then i presume the exhaust manifold was cracked ??

Old 09-21-2006, 10:25 PM
HCF Member

sorry that was really confusing i know. I was saying my exhuast manifold was cracked in half. I replaced it with a dc sports header and ive been happy. I think thats the thing you should check first

Old 09-22-2006, 09:49 AM

Hello everybody! Thank you very much for your replies.

I don't know what's going on in there. Like i say, it sounds like an old chevy when i'm on either 1, 2 or 3 gear (usually goes away a little bit once the car warms up). When i'm in 4 or 5 gear, i don't hear a thing.

Now, if you read the inicial posting, i ask for somebody to tell me if this noise could be the exhaust, intake manifold or something in that area that has cracked. This is what somebody said in another posting here in HCF.

How do i check this problem? I read somebody said i had to look for cracks on the intake manifold. I would be removing the shield this weekend. What else could i do if i don't see anything?

Thank you!

Old 09-22-2006, 04:38 PM
HCF Member

well there is no shield for your intake mani if you want to check the exhuast mani then take its heat shield off

Old 09-22-2006, 11:12 PM
HCF Member

yeah and mine did the exact same thing, the reason it goes away kinda after it heats up is that the metal expands as it heats and closes the hole. Make sure you let the car sit for quite a while before taking the heat shield off b/c it will be really hot. Good luck