HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Header, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   interested in (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/interested-87698/)

TonyAldo 02-18-2011 08:24 PM

interested in

hey I'm pretty new to everything and i've been eyeing a magnaflow catback for my 92 civic dx ( auto ), my question is buying a new catalytic recommended or can I use the stock?

trixter 02-26-2011 09:03 PM

Get a test pipe.

cvcrcr99 02-27-2011 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by TonyAldo (Post 750503)
hey I'm pretty new to everything and i've been eyeing a magnaflow catback for my 92 civic dx ( auto ), my question is buying a new catalytic recommended or can I use the stock?

Not necessary unless you need it I would say.

Originally Posted by trixter (Post 751163)
Get a test pipe.

So you are telling this guy to remove an emissions system component from his vehicle which could be considered against the law? True, some states are more strict than others.

reaper2022 02-27-2011 03:55 PM

It would actually be against federal law, so yes, illegal in all 50 states.

TonyAldo 02-27-2011 10:34 PM

Thanks guys, yea a test pipe isn't really an option for me and not really a performance enhancement since its all stock lol, but yea thanks I guess I'll just use the stock catalytic for now.

trixter 03-01-2011 06:28 PM

Yes I'm telling him to remove an emissions part making it illeagal. You guy are loco. Since when did anyone care about emissions? Are you guys joking? I can't believe the replies I'm getting. Also he just said he's been eyeing that magnaflow catback. And you guys are going all crazy about a test pipe. How many folks here got an intake? Crazies.

cvcrcr99 03-02-2011 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by trixter (Post 751327)
Yes I'm telling him to remove an emissions part making it illeagal. You guy are loco. Since when did anyone care about emissions? Are you guys joking? I can't believe the replies I'm getting. Also he just said he's been eyeing that magnaflow catback. And you guys are going all crazy about a test pipe. How many folks here got an intake? Crazies.

Wow. Hopefully you are joking. I am not sure how you can possibly think what you just said is a valid argument. Plain and simple, removing the cat converter is illegal. How is that crazy?

Installing an exhaust system, or intake is not illegal, unless in California, then it has to be C.A.R.B. approved. Maybe the OP is from CA and you telling him to remove the cat converter will screw him over next time the car comes in for an inspection. Every shop is different (across the US), some will say something, some won't. However, in the shops mind, they can charge you an arm and a leg for a replacement cat (plus the over head) and then the labor to install it, so I doubt they will just let it go.

StifflersMom 03-02-2011 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by trixter (Post 751327)

I hope you get stuck in traffic in your catless car and sit there for 5-6 hours with the engine running. After that I will be even happier to find out you got cancer or even better - poisoning of some sort.

Shandles 03-02-2011 07:56 AM

cat's help stop pollution coming from our cars. with the less-than-recent oil spill, you would think that people would be somewhat more concious of their decisions to pollute.

If you're building a high-hp car, don't go test pipe. Spend the couple hundred and get a high flow cat.

and by the way... how does having an intake make your car pollute more? its basically the same thing as the stock intake, but without a box around the filter.

I like my air clean. Lets try to keep it that way. :D

Mecca8383 03-03-2011 03:58 AM

I'm not against a test pipe or for it............But I'm pretty sure alot of people here have had a testpipe on their car one time or another for months on end. I know I know...a couple people are gonna say.."Well not me! I like my air Cleeeeean".
I'm just saying.
IT IS illegal to have it on the car BUT it's also illegal to download about 95% of the music from the web(for free). People see it as illegal but they still do it...not because they're stupid..but because their chances of getting caught are pretty low when there's many other things for law enforcement to worry about.