Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Exhaust (Maybe?!) Help!!

Old 08-10-2019, 04:28 PM
Default Exhaust (Maybe?!) Help!!

Hello! I’m not 100% sure what question to even ask/how to word it, so bear with me.
First: I’d like to say “THANK YOU” to ya’ll, cause you’ve helped me, help my man-friend fix some issues with his 2003 Honda Civic EX over the years 😊
Second: With that being said, we’ve come across an issue that I haven’t been able to find a solution to, as of yet.
The issue: no exhaust coming out, not really anyway. When it starts/idles, you can feel a little bit coming out, but when you give it gas-nothing. How is that even possible?!🙄 🙄
As I said, it’s a 2003 Honda Civic EX. Has around 230k miles. Up to this point, it ran fine. Now, it’ll start- sometimes run a little longer than others. But, after a few seconds, it’ll sputter and then just die.
Any advice/tips/questions/whatever are welcome. Please!! Thank you 😊

Old 08-10-2019, 05:52 PM
Cat Fuсker

Clogged catalytic converter comes to mind. Remove the front oxygen sensor and start the car (please don't if your engine is an oily fire hazard). If it runs and doesn't sputter (it WILL throw a check engine light for the O2 sensor, but can be reset with the battery disconnect than you likely need a new cat converter.

Old 08-11-2019, 08:58 AM

Thanks for your reply!! That was done yesterday, it has a little rattling noise inside of the cat converter, so a new one is on the way. But, It still dies�� I’ve read a lot of different things it ‘could be,’ most are newer on the car or aren’t the problem. Next on the list is to check if the timing belt has jumped. I’ve read other threads with very similar issues and people say that could be it, so he’s checking that today.