Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

muffler question

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 11:49 AM
HCF Member
Default muffler question

i was thinking about adding a muffler for a more aggressive noise.
Do they all make those aggressive noise even if I'm not accelerating hard?
I want something thats loud when I want it to be loud and not loud enough to catch the cops attention/wake up the whole neihborhood.
Is it as simple as buying the muffler, having the shop cut off my old one, weld the new one on?
What kind of muffler would u reccomend for a civic 01 lx coupe. Prefer one on the quiet side but loud when I want it to be especially not when I'm listening to music or want to hear my self talk.

oh yeah i also have automatic transmission is that still okay?

thanks

Old 08-13-2007, 12:35 PM
Default RE: muffler question

ORIGINAL: burgernuds

i was thinking about adding a muffler for a more aggressive noise.
Do they all make those aggressive noise even if I'm not accelerating hard?
I want something thats loud when I want it to be loud and not loud enough to catch the cops attention/wake up the whole neihborhood.
Is it as simple as buying the muffler, having the shop cut off my old one, weld the new one on?
What kind of muffler would u reccomend for a civic 01 lx coupe. Prefer one on the quiet side but loud when I want it to be especially not when I'm listening to music or want to hear my self talk.

oh yeah i also have automatic transmission is that still okay?

thanks
well most aftermarket mufflers are loud and can makeaggressice noise, it all depend on how u drive the lower ur car rpm than the quiter the muffler will be, the higher the rpm than the loud it will be. so it all depend on how u drive. if ur the type tht slam ur foot on the gas pedal than ur muffler will make alot of noise but if ur the calm type than u should be fine.

Dont get me wrong some mufflers are damn loud and some are not. usually the cheap muffler are the loud annoying ones, and the more expensive name brand one are the good ones.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:37 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well just remember.... buy a nice muffler.... and pay the extra money.... might as well go with a full catback system!!!!!!

just do your research... go on YOUTUBE and type in your model and the exaust your thinking of geting and listen to some audio files

Old 08-13-2007, 03:13 PM
HCF Member

look into a muffler with a silencer if you want one to be quiet... performance and being loud kinda go hand in hand so quiet mefflers are hard to find.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:04 PM

ORIGINAL: addiction2bass

well just remember.... buy a nice muffler.... and pay the extra money.... might as well go with a full catback system!!!!!!

just do your research... go on YOUTUBE and type in your model and the exaust your thinking of geting and listen to some audio files

wow that is a good idea i never ever thought about that!

Old 08-13-2007, 06:46 PM
HCF Member

I've got a Magnaflow muffler welded on stock piping. (http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ain&id=767) It's verrry quiet, not raspy, deep, and smooth.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:36 PM
HCF Member

well i recomend you to get a neutRon tip .....i have one and it sounds great it givesyoua nice deep tone to it with no raspy high piched tone ...and no muffeling ...its a ricey brand but that tip is the best ive owned

Old 08-14-2007, 07:18 AM
HCF Member

i don't know what a neutRon tip is, but you can't get it anywhere besides YOUR local store (alan). and also, are we seriously talking about a tip? because tips don't do sheit for the tone...

Old 08-14-2007, 01:54 PM
HCF Member

its a exhaust tip like a axle back fart can as some would say lol well he wants it to sound aggresive i know it dosnt do squat hp wisebut its better for it to sound good then for it to sound like chet

Old 08-14-2007, 04:56 PM
HCF Member

i think you're confusing a muffler and a muffler tip.

tip:

muffler:

the 2nd one changes the sound. the first one does not in any way whatsoever no matter what brand it is or how expensive it may be. heck, even a 24 karat gold muffler tip wouldn't change the sound.

Quick Reply: muffler question