Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Muffler suggestions

Old 01-13-2007, 06:41 PM
HCF Member
Default Muffler suggestions

Among other things, I need to get some sort of muffler on this car, who still uses its factory tubing, and looks horrible. It has a straight piped exhaust with no tip and looks horrible. In order to save money, I want to put some sort of aftermarket muffler on the car that may slightly improve sound, but more then anything the look of that ugly pipe.

Would it be cheaper and just as easy for me to start by throwing on an upgraded muffler with a nice tip design, or should I go all out and do the cat-back.

I don't really know alot about mufflers and stuff, so I will be reading alot of these threads over the next few weeks, when I assume I will have enough to get something, but If i can get out with a decent muffler that won't screw up my engine flow or anything and only spend 50-100 bucks there, I will be all set for the time being.

If someone has some suggestions I am all ears, I would be willing to buy from ebay also, and just have a local shop weld something onto my factory pipe. I am pretty easy really.

I also wanted to note, I really don't like the whole coffee can look, but I guess if thats whats hot, I can do it. I like tips that look a little like this one, they aren't very huge, they just look good and sound a little better.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/M-POW...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 01-13-2007, 09:01 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Muffler suggestions

Twin Loops ftw! I dunno if I would go for that particular one though, that's pretty much an off brand of Mufflers. Unless someone else knows about them or have used them.Your best bet would be to geta muffler and just replace the piping. I bought a Netami twin loop, and if you go to the 1996 - 2000 Civic Product reviewsection I have avideo clip of the Netami twin loop posted, with stock piping and a high flow cat and header. Not too long after putting the muffler on the piping Iended up having ahole in the exhaust and just replaced the whole piping.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:17 PM
HCF Member

twin loops do sound good, but you get what you pay for.

Old 01-13-2007, 10:53 PM
HCF Member

I dunno. But if you have the money i would say do cat back. If you want for performance it will be better than axleback. Obviously. lol

Old 01-14-2007, 10:53 AM
HCF Member

axle backs vs a catback on a NA civic doesn't make that much of a difference. the price difference just isn't worth getting a catback. they're like $400 more

Old 01-14-2007, 11:49 AM
HCF Member

so If i were to just toss a muffler on, should I be worried about all these backflow issues I keep hearing about, or should it be pretty straight forward, since I am not changing out any of the other stock components?

I am looking at price more then anything, I just want somethign that looks a little better, some deeper sound is a bonus. Let me get a pic up here tonight and you will see how ghetto it looks now.

Old 01-14-2007, 03:14 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Stumasters

so If i were to just toss a muffler on, should I be worried about all these backflow issues I keep hearing about, or should it be pretty straight forward, since I am not changing out any of the other stock components?

I am looking at price more then anything, I just want somethign that looks a little better, some deeper sound is a bonus. Let me get a pic up here tonight and you will see how ghetto it looks now.
there shouldn't be a problem with just getting a muffler. just cut the old one off, weld the new one on.

Old 01-14-2007, 07:55 PM
HCF Member

I am all over it then. Funny thing, I met a guy today in the parking lot of a gas station who had those red/white tail lights on, and I just about asked him to straight up trade me for my stockers + my euro's, but he looked like he was in a hurry and I didn't say anything. I wish I had, I would be rolling the real lights right now :-(

Was kinda random, maybe if i see him again I will follow him somewhere and ask.