Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Muffler tip recommended size question

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 03:28 PM
Default Muffler tip recommended size question

Hey all, I need to get a new exhaust system and I have been reading many many, did I say many posts... My question is, what is the recommended nice looking size for a muffler tip??? I have noticed that a lot of sites I have looked at have the 4" tip, and I dont think that would look too nice. My goal is to make my car look nice and classy, in a dont fu*k with me kind of way lol . Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, I am still trying to figure out what to get for the catback system, etc. I would like to get a custom job, but how do you go about doing that?? I have to buy all the parts first, right??

Old 02-06-2007, 03:37 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Muffler tip recommended size question

Muffler: For a long, rumbly, not so high-pitched sound, get a Twin Loop Muffler. They dont have big ol exhaust tips, but there still alot better than stock. Search YouTube for video/audio clips

Custom Catback: Yeah, get a muffler, catalytic converter (preferably high flow), and a resonator and then tell them you want 2.25" of 2.5" piping from the cat all the way bcak to the muffler. While your down there might as well throw a header on too.

The more you spend the better it will sound, and the more you cut corners, the higher/ricier it will sound

Old 02-06-2007, 05:58 PM

On my last Civic I had a no muffler, I cut that off to make it just a straight pipe back from the cat, and I took out the resonator as well. I had a 3A racing tip on the end of that, 3.75 inches in diameter. I bought it at Auto Zone for like $20 and it sounded real nice. It had that real deep tone, especially when you really get on it. You might want to check it out if you are trying to keep this a low cost project. Just buy the tip and take it to a place that can weld it on for you, and ask them to take the resonator off too, but leave the cat on there.

Old 02-06-2007, 06:40 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: LimeGreenCivicDX

On my last Civic I had a no muffler, I cut that off to make it just a straight pipe back from the cat, and I took out the resonator as well. I had a 3A racing tip on the end of that, 3.75 inches in diameter. I bought it at Auto Zone for like $20 and it sounded real nice. It had that real deep tone, especially when you really get on it. You might want to check it out if you are trying to keep this a low cost project. Just buy the tip and take it to a place that can weld it on for you, and ask them to take the resonator off too, but leave the cat on there.
i don't understand how this could possible sound good. no resonator on a civic? no muffler? only a tip? usually that means a really ricey sound...

also, for tubing size, DON'T GET 2.5"; 2.5" would probably be something you'd get if you had a k20a2.

2.25" is the max you want on a NA civic. with 2.5" tubing, you REALLY lose a noticeable amount of low end torque.

here's a good guideline: if you have a d17a1, get a 2" | if you have a d17a2, you might be able to get by with a 2.25"

Old 02-06-2007, 07:10 PM
HCF Member

a muffler from autozone? was it a brand named "thrush" and did it look factory?

Old 02-07-2007, 07:57 AM
HCF Member

yeah i have no idea how that could sound remotely good....maybe your confusing terms. By tip, do you maybe mean muffler? Theres no way it could sound good without a muffler, unless you have a VERY different definition of the word good....

Old 02-07-2007, 08:12 AM
Administrator

<----D17A2 with 2.25" piping and it sounds, feels great

Old 02-07-2007, 08:45 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: FlipHKD720

yeah i have no idea how that could sound remotely good....maybe your confusing terms. By tip, do you maybe mean muffler? Theres no way it could sound good without a muffler, unless you have a VERY different definition of the word good....
agreed x10000000000

Old 02-07-2007, 11:13 AM

what size piping would you guys (and gals) recommend for a stock d15z? my stock muffler is a buzzing rattletrap that sounds like itsabout tofall off any second and i'd like to put a nice sounding system on it thats not over the top.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:27 AM
HCF Member

2"

Quick Reply: Muffler tip recommended size question