Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

My Muffler was shoved in....How bad can that be?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 07:22 AM
Default My Muffler was shoved in....How bad can that be?

I was hit from behind by a 2000 Toyota Corola. Their care is totalled...winshield shattered, all airbags blew, hood crumpled up a little.....And my car is a 2006 Honda Civic. My damage is that the muffler was shoved in like maybe a foot...I dont know if the muffler is supposed to be even with the end of the bumper but it was deffinatly shoved in....and the bumper was all torn up and my spare tire was shoved up in my trunk...Does this mean my frame was bent?...They have not done an estimate yet...What do ya'll think? How bad can a bent muffler be?...Can it shove the engine up or anything?

Old 10-15-2007, 07:41 AM
Cat Fuсker
Default RE: My Muffler was shoved in....How bad can that be?

the bent muffler is nothing, but if the spare tire compartment got moved...well my bet is on a write-off...do you have a picture of the damage?

Old 10-15-2007, 07:53 AM

No...I dont...Why would that be a write off?...does that mean the frame is bent? Someone told me they would cut out that part and weld a new one in but I signed that they thedealership should put in allnew parts...or factory parts...no aftermarket...

Old 10-15-2007, 08:34 AM
HCF Member

I doubt it will be a total loss since it's a new car, and even if there is frame damage, they will usually fix it since the car still blue books for a lot of money. If your car was older then yes, it would be totalled. But since it's new, you will probably be getting your car back with a new frame.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:35 AM
Cat Fuсker

Well I seriously wouldn't want a car with a "clipping" repair...however if the rear suspension is still in it's right spot and the quarters aren't crumpled it will be fixed...

Old 10-15-2007, 09:06 AM
Administrator

yeah, all in all its a bad situation, make sure the frame is ok and like gene said, that the spare compartment.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:29 AM

If and when they total your car is it posible that they dont give you the total payoff?

Old 10-15-2007, 11:40 AM
Cat Fuсker

Unfortunately that is quite likely to happen

Old 10-15-2007, 12:01 PM

What?...That they total it or that they dont give me the pay off...I have like 40,000 miles on it...yeah..I know I drive alot for work....I have been reading up on how getting you muffler shoved in can lead to ...

Q. We have 1996 Honda Accord LX, 4 cylinder, 4 automatic with air. My wife was rear ended 6 weeks ago. A week after the accident the valves went, we lost compression and we lost the head and had to have it rebuilt. Anyway when the mechanic went to put everything back together the one spot were the manifold bolts to the block fell of into his fingers. It would appears that the exhaust system was pushed forward, the block broke and the manifold was then free to move up and tweak the head which is were most of the manifold is bolted to. I am wondering if you had ever seen this before or had heard of it before.

A. As I have often said Mike, when a car is in an accident, all the rules go right out the window. Anything becomes possible. While I have never heard of the valves becoming damaged in an accident, I have seen distributors pushed into a cylinder head and breaking camshafts. I have also seen water pumps pushed into engine blocks. I can see how the exhaust system can push forward in a rear end collision and break a chunk of block off.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:24 PM
Cat Fuсker

yeah....the broken exhaust manifold scenario IS a very possible outcome...seriously, I would hope the car gets written off. Even if there is a balance involved (could be as little as your deductible) it will not be as bad as dealing with a car with post traumatic stress disorder...