HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Header, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   Need help finding a free flow muffler that wont make my car sound like a bumble bee! (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/need-help-finding-free-flow-muffler-wont-make-my-car-sound-like-bumble-bee-28068/)

cowsgonemadd3 08-29-2006 10:36 AM

Need help finding a free flow muffler that wont make my car sound like a bumble bee!

I am looking for a muffler to put on my 2001 civic ex coupe that will not make it sound like a bumble bee and loud.

I want something that sounds more stock as that loud rumble going miles and miles down the road gets old. You know I just want it to sound like a car and not
like a motorcycle at higher speeds.

I am looking into flowmaster mufflers the free flow style so I can get better performance and fuel mileage.

What should I be looking for? I know its going to change the tone and I dont mind a little bit more noise but my parents dont like the loud noise some of those mufflers make
and I have to ride them in the car often so....
Thanks

browncivic 12-08-2008 11:34 AM

I have a flowmaster 40 series on mine. I didnt want the bumble bee fart can sound either. It does have some of that sound at certain rpm ranges but I am satisfied with it over my stock muffler. Flowmaster at the time didnt offer a muffler that fits the stock 91 civic pipe size so it had to be ramped up to fit the muffler. I think the muffler is 2 inch inlet and exit. Some people here say they sound like crap but its a matter of opinion. It doesnt sound stock and it doesnt sound like the ricer mufflers. I have been pulled over once for it (im in idaho where many have illegal exhaust) but I think it was just an excuse to see if I was drunk at 2 am near the main bar streets.

trustdestruction 12-08-2008 01:01 PM

Basically when you're looking at exhausts there are going to be 2 designs:
1. ones that look like regular mufflers and then with a tip sticking out
2. round ones that look like coffee cans

Pretty much anything you get that fits number 2, with the exception of small magnaflow mufflers, are going to sound like the bumble-bee sound you described, and are annoying while cruising on the interstate at 3-4k RPMs. Anything I can think of that fits number 1 is going to be what you want.

inthezoneac 12-08-2008 02:09 PM

apexi ws2(world sport 2) - low deep tone, never gets raspy or sounds like a bee/fart

Tip I think is just perfect, not too small or too big. You can see the pic in my sig below.

I haven't heard a flowmaster on a civic in real life, so I can't say how it is.

conceptualpolymer 12-08-2008 06:17 PM

You really can't go wrong with Magnaflow - deep idle and great-sounding WOT sounds. I wouldn't trade mine for anything.

NIKE H34D 12-08-2008 08:03 PM

I just wishimy car had the stock exhaust it sounds beautiful stock, mine isnt too loud but still its so annoying when your not moving too fast and you hear your exhaust even a little