Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Need Help installing Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 08:54 PM
HCF Member
Default Need Help installing Cold Air Intake

I bought a Cold Air Intake off Ebay recently. It's been snowing a lot lately so I just decided to put in the first tube to my engine and make it a Short Ram Intake and my friend who helped me install it said water might get into the engine if I install the other pipe in and make it a true CAI. I have seen a noticeable difference in power compared to my stock air box. A pretty good difference.

So I go and buy an air bypass valve off of ebay as well so that I can put in the other pipe and make it a true CAI, but there's a problem. I can't find a way to fit the filter into that little area where it's supposed to go. The filter won't fit because there's all these wires and other metal stuff in the way. I tried jamming it in there but it won't work. I didn't even have the filter attached to the pipe I just tried to get the filter down there on it's on to try to fit it in by itself. Just to see if it would fit.

I own a '99 Civic Lx manual tranny and this is the CAI I bought.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

Here's a picture of just the first pipe attached to my engine.
Name:  0113091332a.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  72.4 KB
Name:  0113091334a.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  70.5 KB

So is there any way to get it in there. Like would I have to take my bumper off or put it in from under the car?

Old 01-20-2009, 09:06 PM
HCF Member

Assuming you do have the other piece of piping, yes it will fit, or it should. You never know with the ebay stuff. You will have to take off the front bumper to install it correctly. So that means you will also have to take the filter off and reinstall it once all the piping is secure. Here is a link to the diy ----> https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=69748

Old 01-20-2009, 09:12 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by croninc
Assuming you do have the other piece of piping, yes it will fit, or it should. You never know with the ebay stuff. You will have to take off the front bumper to install it correctly. So that means you will also have to take the filter off and reinstall it once all the piping is secure. Here is a link to the diy ----> https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=69748
I do have the other pipe. I was just trying to see if the cone filter could fit down in there, but it couldn't I think I may have to cut down the other pipe as well so I can fit the ABV in because it seemed a little cramped.

Last edited by graymonkey44; 01-20-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:15 PM
HCF Member

You know you will approximately have the same 'gains' in power as your current setup if you attach the lower tube with the bypass valve except with decreased throttle response.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:16 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by ej6buddy
You know you will approximately have the same 'gains' in power as your current setup if you attach the lower tube with the bypass valve except with decreased throttle response.
Why do you say that?

Old 01-20-2009, 09:36 PM
HCF Member

It's been covered before, but:

-extending the tube to the lower bumper does nothing but relocates the filter to a relatively colder area to intake cooler temperatures, which won't really make a difference on a 1.6 litre.
-heat soak doesn't extremely effect Y7's, the top mount manifold design is the main flaw and intake problem.
-the longer tube only changes the resonance of the pipe and the diameter isn't effected in any way.
-the bypass valve restricts unwanted water, as well as a decrease in air intake, thus, less throttle response
-etc..

Old 01-21-2009, 05:47 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by ej6buddy
It's been covered before, but:

-extending the tube to the lower bumper does nothing but relocates the filter to a relatively colder area to intake cooler temperatures, which won't really make a difference on a 1.6 litre.
-heat soak doesn't extremely effect Y7's, the top mount manifold design is the main flaw and intake problem.
-the longer tube only changes the resonance of the pipe and the diameter isn't effected in any way.
-the bypass valve restricts unwanted water, as well as a decrease in air intake, thus, less throttle response
-etc..
And do you have any credentials to back this up?

Old 01-21-2009, 08:00 AM
HCF Member

i can back him up on everything he just said. ^

Old 01-21-2009, 08:02 AM
HCF Member

I am the credential.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:36 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by graymonkey44
And do you have any credentials to back this up?
I find it weird that you'd even question him especially how detailed his response is and it's obvious you don't know anything on the subject or you wouldn't have asked this question.

Quick Reply: Need Help installing Cold Air Intake