HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Header, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   new to imports need advice (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/new-imports-need-advice-25872/)

warchunks 07-23-2006 02:07 PM

new to imports need advice

hi everyone i just today bought a 2005 honda civic 1.7l and while i am not new to the performance car world i am new to imports and the aftermarket parts for them. what i am looking for is a good intake/header combo that wont break the bank as well as other performance enhancing ideas for the future. i was also thinking of putting in bosch plat +4 or maybe the NGK's with some sweet accell wires to go with it. thanks for your help in advance.

Chimera02EX 07-23-2006 03:02 PM

RE: new to imports need advice

Ok first, you don't have a distributor so crossout the Accel wires. Go with the NGK coppers, you'd just be wasting money on bosch. AEM cold air and DC 4-2-1 header ~$500. With this engine, unless you are going to turbo it (then I suggest skipping on the header), stop at I/H/E. If you do wanna go farther I suggest the following, bigger TB, head work, valvetrain, stage 1 or 2 cam, raise compression, some internals and some N2O if ya want.

warchunks 07-23-2006 05:43 PM

ok cool thanks for the advice, now is the aem better than its K&N counterpart?

Chimera02EX 07-23-2006 06:06 PM

Yes. AEM, Injen and some Weapon R intakes are among the best. But for the money I say AEM.

pWnEdU 07-23-2006 08:05 PM

Bosch platinums suck.

civtec00 07-23-2006 08:09 PM

if you do the intake and an exhaust you should get a fuel pressure regulator

Chimera02EX 07-23-2006 08:12 PM

^ why? definately not needed for just an intake and exhaust. The stock one will do just fine.

D16Punk 07-24-2006 09:27 AM

Yeah, the Stock fpr is good for up to 200 hp I believe. I dunno if you want everything to be CARB, because Megan Racing makes a header for your car and they have some decent products. For intake, It just really depends on your filter. The rest is just piping (Besides the V2, but that one retails for close to or over $200 so I don't know if that's money you want to spend).
Here is the megan header:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MEGAN...08022377QQrdZ1

civicexracer 07-24-2006 09:48 AM

AEM intakes are good, prolly ur best bet and now they come with dry flow filters so u dont need to oil the filter or anything like that. the AEM V2 is a very good intake and sounds amazing, my friend has it in his '04 ex and its really nice. the weapon r secret weapon intake really isnt all that great, my friend with a '99 si got one and u can barely hear it, the hole in the tube for the sensor was the wrong size, and gains didnt feel to great. another thing about the weapon r is it uses a foam filter which can hold condensation on it and eventually it'll build mold on it and can break apart...

slvrcivic05 07-25-2006 04:21 PM

wow finally a thread with fellow D17 guys on it. Yea go IHE for the engine because that mostly all you can do.

on the 7thgencivic forum alot of people like the Injen intakes over the AEM. So its gonna be your preference and Dry Flow is the way to go

On headers, I have HP Racing Headers (modified to use a cat), i like these but you can also do DC Sport, or even megan racing headers.

Exhaust - Go cat back, magnaflow is nice and mellow, t304 stainless steel will out live your car, yet $$$ is the only problem expect to pay 300-400 for it.

For spark plugs i went NGK Iridium and also did a Sun Hyper Ground Kit.

After doing these engine mods, jump on suspension because the only way you are getting more HP is if you Swap or Turbo.