Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

New w/ questions!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 07:58 AM
Default New w/ questions!

Hope I'm posting this in the right forum...

I'm shopping for a used Civic and I came across an '01 EX coupe that rides great. It's been modded a bit - Injen intake, Greddy catback exhaust, 17 inch wheels, tinted windows, all pedals changed (I don't remember what they are now, but they're not stock). Basically I love this car. My only issue with it is that with the intake and exhaust combined, the thing is so freaking loud. It actually started to annoy me a bit on the test drive and probably wouldn't work out too well considering the tiny, quiet town I live in. I'm all for mods, but the super loud stuff is a little overbearing. So here's my question:

Would you say the intake or the exhaust contributes more to the sound?

I'm considering either a) making a deal with the seller to remove the exhaust before I buy the car (and maybe removing the intake myself if it's still too loud), or b) telling the seller to remove both the intake and the exhaust before I buy it. I don't really know if that's a good idea though... would I be better off buying the car as-is then reverting to stock and selling the parts? Also, if the intake is the lesser problem I'd prefer to keep that on.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

-Cherry

EDIT: This car was unfortunately sold to another buyer.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:13 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: New w/ questions!

well most likely its the exaust system thats the loudest.... the intake is usualy only loud when you are hard on the gas.... i idea would be buy the car and list it localy for sale or trade....

if someone realy likes your setup they could trade yours for there stock parts PLUS CASH. or hell another idea... make them pay for a shop to remove both exausts after inspecting his to ensure its good and have the shop swap both systems at no cost to you. that way you dont have to mess with a thing but drop your car off at the shop and tell them whats going on.

or just outright sell the system, get paid for the system drop the car off at your local exaust shop, tell them whats going on and you want a stock exaust all new. depends on how much cash it will cost for all new and how much cash you get for the system already on the car of course....

definatly very minor....

Old 05-18-2008, 11:23 AM

Thanks, a lot of that would definitely make sense. Someone on another forum also suggested getting a silencer and keeping the setup the way it is now. How much of a difference would that make?

Old 05-18-2008, 11:34 AM
Super Cereal Admin

silencers make a pretty big difference... back when I had a dnx muffler, it was loud as *****. With the silencer in, it was just a little louder than stock, but a good bit deeper.

Also, just as a side note, you could get a quieter muffler and have a shop change out just the muffler. The Magnaflow I have on my civic right now is literally almost as quiet as stock.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:36 PM

That's another good idea.

But I don't have a lot of money to shell out for the muffler and service charges... grr.

What seems to make sense would be buying the car as it is now, changing the exhaust system, and selling it (or trading with someone for stock). Idk. Any other opinions on this? Also, thanks so much to those of you who have already helped

Old 05-20-2008, 07:31 PM
HCF Member

Ask the seller if he'd do the swap BEFORE you buy. Also, be sure to ask the following questions:

1) How often did you change the oil and filter?
2) How often did you change or clean the intake filter? How did you clean it?
3) Why are you selling the car?
4) Have you ever changed the tranny fluid?
5) How about the coolant - how often was that changed?
6) Can I see the last smog test results (if required in this area)
7) Has the car ever been in an accident or painted? If so, where was the work done?
8) Where did you have the car serviced? Can you call and get a service history printout?
9) Would you mind if I had the car inspected at my choice of auto shop?

Good luck!

Old 05-20-2008, 09:57 PM
HCF Member

i say keep the set up and jus buy a silencer. it should be quiet enough for your lil town. you never know if you might want the set up later on down the line, then you would have to buy another new system. this way you at least have it, its already installed for you, and if you get the silencer you can take it off or put it on whenever you feel like it. also by keepin the set up your car will breathe better.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:06 AM

I think I mentioned it already, but that car went to another seller RIGHT after I saw it. Sucks cause I liked it, but at least I don't have to worry about this anymore. I'm gonna edit my first post so no one else spends a lot of time responding to an issue that no longer exists. Thank you both, though! Now I'll know what to do if a similar situation comes up. Or maybe this thread will help someone else with a comparable problem.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:22 AM
HCF Member

..this is the wierdest question ever