Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

NewB seeking something simple yet noticeable and worth it!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 05:17 PM
HCF Member
Default NewB seeking something simple yet noticeable and worth it!

im a newb to tricking out my ride. i had an 89 civic hatchback and i had put a new muffler with a tip on it and that was it. now i just bought a 97 civic LX automatic and i would like to put an intake and an exhaust system on it. i don't want to put a whole lot of money into it just enough to make my car noticeable.

the only intake that ive seen and been interested in so far is AEM CAI, SRI, or the V2. i think the V2 wont work for my car though. any suggestions on a good intake with a nice sound for less than $400?

ive YouTubed the GReddy Evo II, Apexi WS2, and the Apexi N1. i want a nice deep tone... you know something with meat to it... and so far the GReddy Evo II and the Apexi N1 (leaning more towards the Evo II) are the only things close to it. Any suggestions for a good exhaust with a reasonable price?

any input would be greatly appreciated. THX GUYS & GALS!!!

Old 06-03-2007, 05:25 PM
Super Cereal Admin
Default RE: NewB seeking something simple yet noticeable and worth it!

Well, if you want a throaty sounding intake, go with a SRI... they're usually louder than CAI's. With the exhaust, maybe a Magnaflow exhaust? I've heard they're pretty deep... try searching youtube for it. Just remember, you aren't going to get like a V8-deep sound out of a four-banger, especially one that revs as high as a honda. Think of it like motorcycles: choppers are deep because they have big engines that don't rev very high. On the other hand, crotch rockets are high-pitched because they have small engines that rev really high. It's basically the same thing with cars.

Welcome to the forums, by the way

Old 06-03-2007, 05:27 PM
HCF Member

Welcome to the Forums!
If you don't want to spend a lot of money, injen intake and megan exhaust would be the perfect combo. the evo2 is very nice, but definitely more pricy than megan. the aem v2 is compatible with your car btw.

Old 06-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Snail'n Admin

get the evo2. I love mine and couldn't be happier. I can hook you up with some vids if you want. Also, i got an injen sri and i love that as well

Old 06-03-2007, 05:58 PM
HCF Member

thanks for the welcome guys and gals. i liked the evo II sound. how much do they usually run for? ill check out magnaflow and megan as well.

i know that the engine is what really defines the sound, but what i had on my 89 civic sounded nice, loud and deep, but not as deep as the evo II. like i said though... so far im pretty impressed with the evo II. any vids of exhaust sounds are welcomed.

i looked on the aem website and the application for the v2 for my year and model says that its only for a manual transmission. is this true or does it actually work for my auto?

as far as spending goes im willing to put out at most $500 for the intake and $500 for the exhaust. so anything within that price range im down to check out. all suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:02 PM
HCF Member

also, from one of the previous threads i noticed some people mentioned that the v2 intake can be considered a CAI and an SRI depending on the year and model of the car. is this true? if so, what would it be for my car?

Old 06-03-2007, 08:05 PM
HCF Member

mistake, its a '99 Civic LX.... not a '97