HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Header, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   Password JDM Carbon/Kevlar Fiber Intake (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/password-jdm-carbon-kevlar-fiber-intake-76972/)

dbramaged 07-16-2009 10:18 AM

Password JDM Carbon/Kevlar Fiber Intake

A little background of my car first: I have a 1997 Civic EX. I'm running a full exhaust (Apexi N1 Cat Back, DC Sport 4-2-1 Header) w/ hi flow cat. I also have a 68mm throttle body with a bored Intake Manifold. I am running stock internals but do have the AEM Cam Gear and AEM pullies.

Now, the question at hand is whether the Password JDM Carbon Fiber intake is worth the money? I know it's not "cold air" but between short "ram air" and "cold air" is only 1 HP difference on the dyno. I'm currently running an AEM V2 Cold Air, but a weld broke and needs the piping replaced. I've been looking into purchasing the Password JDM, but no one seems to have any information on it. I've looked through all the the threads on here and it seems like this question continues to go unanswered? Is anyone running this intake or have information about it?

reaper2022 07-16-2009 11:24 AM

I don't know anyone that has the intake off-hand.

The idea behind the intake is that the tube holds a good bit of air that the engine doesn't necessarily need at the moment. But when you go WOT, the extra air is immediately available, increasing throttle response. Good in theory. In practice? I have no clue, but the intake sure does look bada** :D

Out of curiosity, why do you have an AEM cam gear with the stock cam?

Oh, and welcome to the forums :D

xsteinbachx 07-16-2009 11:34 AM

Duct tape the piping back together. problem solved hahaha.

reaper2022 07-16-2009 11:41 AM

Come on, man... use your head! You can't duct tape the piping back together. For this, *dramatic voice* we... need... ZIP TIES!!!!!!!!!

:D

dbramaged 07-16-2009 02:05 PM

I know the idea behind the intake, and I know that on the S2000, they were able to produce a good amount of power, but I haven't heard any reviews on the Civics or Integras yet.

I have the cam gear to advance the time 1 degree. A slight difference in response is all. I didn't talk about the ignition system that I have as well, but I figured it was very important.

reaper2022 07-16-2009 02:29 PM

I'd assume the gain on a civic would be equivalent to that of a CAI. The key difference is the throttle response. Like I said, I don't know if the idea behind the powerchamber intake actually works, but it makes sense in theory.

And the cam gear makes sense... not sure how much power you'd actually make tweaking the stock timing, but I guess it's worth a try. Oh, and an aftermarket ignition system won't give you any real gains over the stock system; stock ignitions are already way more powerful than they need to be; from what I've heard the stock ignition system is powerful enough to support a 500hp car.

*ninja edit: besides, even if the powerchamber intake doesn't give you any real gains, it still looks sexy under the hood :D

plethoric33 07-16-2009 04:45 PM

Id buy it based on looks alone. Its just an intake. No intake is going to give you any real power anyway. Unless you buy an ARC air box and even then its not worth the $$$.

dbramaged 07-16-2009 07:05 PM

Well, the next step will be the cam, pistons, rings, crank shaft, clutch, flywheel, boring the head, valves and valve springs... Oh, but I still need to work on the suspension too... But anyways, I figure if I'm near 175 hp when I'm done, I'll be good on the road coarse. Straight lines are boring

plethoric33 07-16-2009 08:08 PM

AutoX > Drag Racing anyday.

trustdestruction 07-16-2009 10:57 PM

I don't remember the details, but I remember reading somewhere that these aren't really that great and don't work like they claim.