HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Header, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   Quick CAI Question (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/quick-cai-question-92371/)

DroppedCivic94 02-27-2012 05:24 AM

Quick CAI Question

What's up HCF.....I was thinking of getting a cold air intake for my civic but I had one concern..we get a lot of rain in texas and I have had a bad experience with a cai before on a bmw m3...the foam that was wrapped around the filter was completely soaked from driving in the rain and wouldn't allow the car turn on and that's suppose to keep the water out...I am looking a AEM V2 Cold air intake but wanted to see if anyone else can recommend any others or have had any feedback on this one...I heard something about a bypass valve too that you can add on the pipe of the cai to top the potential water...anybody have any advice??

cvcrcr99 02-27-2012 06:01 AM

Well if you had one with problems, what makes you think this would be any different? Once the entire filter is submerged in water, you will hydrolock your motor, potentially destroying it.

DroppedCivic94 02-27-2012 12:41 PM

Good point..:-P

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99 (Post 773717)
Well if you had one with problems, what makes you think this would be any different? Once the entire filter is submerged in water, you will hydrolock your motor, potentially destroying it.

bakrueger 02-28-2012 07:12 PM

Are you looking for a true cold air intake or a short ram intake? Personally, im using an AEM short ram intake with a Spectre filter and its worked wonders for me, and I live in Iowa where weather is an enemy and have never had problems. Highly recommend AEM short intakes, nice power gain and strong intake sound.

DroppedCivic94 02-29-2012 05:06 AM

I was considering a full cold air intake...I have had a bad experience before but I was considering using a bypass valve if I did a cold air intake...but I thought that short ram air only works if you have like a hood scoop to allow cool air in the engine bay.

cvcrcr99 02-29-2012 06:03 AM

SRI are dyno proven to be best. Do some research on other forums for graphs etc.

A pipe is a pipe. Slap a good (K&N or AEM dryflow) filter on it and call it a day.

DroppedCivic94 02-29-2012 09:56 AM

I had already done some research and it all pointed to cold air intake as the best one...install a bypass valve to avoid hydrolock and let it run....but if I can save a few bucks and have around the same reults with a SRI then id consider that...

cvcrcr99 02-29-2012 10:09 AM

Get what you want to get. The differences are minimal at best I would bet.

bakrueger 02-29-2012 05:08 PM

^^Agreed^^ Any difference would be negligiable IMO. Plus Ive heard that SRIs give better throttle response in comparison to a CAI which makes sense, the air goes through a shorter pipe.

Zoz 11-08-2012 11:59 AM

Carefully with non-oem intakes on newer engines. I have a 7th gen 1.6 civic. I installed a K&N panel filter, and felt better throttle response, but wanted more. I installed a K&N 57i kit (short ram with cold air feed) and it felt somehow weaker. I was on the dyno, and it is now proven. I lost power and torque - a lot - in the middle range, and gained some - really small amount - on the highest revs.

How the f#ck is that possible? I asked the dyno guy, and he said, newer jap cars intake system is designed really well, it eliminates certain resonations which gains some torque and power, but sadly is a bit restrictive at high revs.

So middle revs - what you use every day - let's say 3000-5000 i lost a lot of performance, but i gained some near 6000. Well... i went back to K&N panel filter :S