HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Header, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   removed muffler (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/removed-muffler-27932/)

cornerblitz59 08-26-2006 07:20 PM

removed muffler

my friend removed his muffler on his civic today and for some reason it sounds really good. now that it is just louder and has no performance additions he is looking to keep it like that. in new york are there any emission laws or anything that says you cant or have to have a muffler on your car?

dfdon 08-26-2006 09:09 PM

RE: removed muffler

nope you should be all good...as long as the cat is on

StifflersMom 08-26-2006 09:25 PM

not sure about NY, but most states have laws regarding muffler presense and a set decibal level which a car should not exceed. It is best to look it up in the NY vehicle code. I'm pretty sure there will be a law saying that your car must have a muffler. On the other note having no muffler is just annoying to others...

ef4life 08-26-2006 09:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Kolhoznik

not sure about NY, but most states have laws regarding muffler presense and a set decibal level which a car should not exceed. It is best to look it up in the NY vehicle code. I'm pretty sure there will be a law saying that your car must have a muffler. On the other note having no muffler is just annoying to others...
yeah check the laws, but not having a muffler can sound really good. i did it on my ef for about 2 years, was never hasseled and it sounded good, acutally when i got the 2.25 piping and a muffler it got a little quieter and didn't sound as good.

pWnEdU 08-27-2006 07:21 AM

Man come on dude, how in the **** could that sound ok????

I've heard mufflerless 4 bangers before and they sound like ass.

cornerblitz59 08-27-2006 03:10 PM

when someone says straights out the back
what does that technically mean like from where to where

ef4life 08-27-2006 03:50 PM

ORIGINAL: pWnEdU

Man come on dude, how in the **** could that sound ok????

I've heard mufflerless 4 bangers before and they sound like ass.
it still has the soda straw exhaust pipe, factory resonator, and cat. so it doesn't nessesarily sound like crap.

cornerblitz59 08-27-2006 04:25 PM

agreed my freinds that way sounds real good

zerocool 08-28-2006 03:37 PM

If you're worried about getting pulled over for not having a muffler just cut the pipe, leave a gap and then keep the muffler on as a dummy. Most cops arent willing to get down on the ground to check it out...

cornerblitz59 08-31-2006 12:02 PM

there is no muffler and it is NOT loud, it sounds like regular intake believe it or not. ricey but at the same time sounds great.