HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Header, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   "resetting ECU at my own risk"?? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/resetting-ecu-my-own-risk-88097/)

Lambo Civic 03-22-2011 11:29 PM

"resetting ECU at my own risk"??

I recently purchased a short ram air intake from a company on Ebay named Car Part Outlet and the intake came with the brand BOMZ Racing. I had a friend who used to be a Honda mechanic put it in, realizing afterward that I could have done it myself.

The guy on the Ebay page said I could reset the ECU at my own risk by disconnecting everything from the battery and letting it sit disconnected for at least 12 hours, point being that when I reconnect everything and start driving the ECU will automatically adjust itself to the new intake replacement (I had an AEM CAI before).

Does this make any sense?

Mecca8383 03-23-2011 03:46 AM

LOL!!....Umm...no it doesn't have to be disconnected for 12 hours. You can d/c the negative from the battery for 10 minutes & it should reset itself when you reconnect it. There's nothing "risky" about disconnecting it....just make sure the negative cable is tucked away somewhere from the battery terminals when d/c'ed.

Too easy!

WellFedHobo 03-23-2011 05:15 AM

^That

I would assume it's more of an emissions thing. If you clear your ECU, add the intake, then go get emissions checked, they won't pass you because your computer has been recently reset. They can tell.

Lambo Civic 03-23-2011 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by WellFedHobo (Post 752925)
^That

I would assume it's more of an emissions thing. If you clear your ECU, add the intake, then go get emissions checked, they won't pass you because your computer has been recently reset. They can tell.

Even though I wouldn't have known that, I guess it pays to have a 1995 [and earlier] automobile in the state of Illinois, considering they don't require you to get tested for emissions. That's what I heard... Or someone has been stealing our mail XD

MaximusFunk 03-23-2011 02:24 PM

I pull the radio fuse(7.5 fuse) from the under hood fuse box with needle nose pliers, wait 30 seconds, then put it back. It does the same thing as the neg batt cable.

But after you reconnect the cable or replace the fuse, let the car idle for about 15 min with all accessories off, otherwise the computer will take months to adjust to your driving habits.

I've reset my ecu 5 or 6 hours before an emissions test for obd2 and had no problem passing in case you are worried.

Lambo Civic 03-31-2011 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by MaximusFunk (Post 752945)
I pull the radio fuse(7.5 fuse) from the under hood fuse box with needle nose pliers, wait 30 seconds, then put it back. It does the same thing as the neg batt cable.

But after you reconnect the cable or replace the fuse, let the car idle for about 15 min with all accessories off, otherwise the computer will take months to adjust to your driving habits.

I've reset my ecu 5 or 6 hours before an emissions test for obd2 and had no problem passing in case you are worried.

Thanks!