HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Header, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   Resonator 4 Exhaust? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/resonator-4-exhaust-28993/)

Bostonhoodhop 09-14-2006 04:04 PM

Resonator 4 Exhaust?

Will You Get A Better Nice Deep Toned Exhaust With The Stock Piping/Resonator And Attach A Muffler...Or Run STraight 2.25 pipe back from the cat and add the muffler??? Whats the deal with the resonator....Just let me know whats best for less gay Sound LOL Best For DEep Tone.. Thanx

Marty 09-14-2006 04:10 PM

RE: Resonator 4 Exhaust?

If you remove the cat a resonator will make it so it is not raspy sounding. If you can get away with it I suggest a 2.25 inch exhaust with no cat, a muffler, and a resonator. It will get rid of the "gay" sound as you put it

Bostonhoodhop 09-14-2006 04:14 PM

hmmm i c....i just didnt wanna touch the cat....i wanna keep it legal as possible...possibaly pass inspection next time around... ya know? what do u think i should do?

devney 09-14-2006 05:58 PM

Leave the cat dude...I mean, it keeps things clean (and legal) and serves a purpose. Run 2.25" piping, a high flow cat, a good quality resonator and muffler and you'll be golden. I wouldn't run without a resonator or a cat.

***When I say high flow cat, I mean like a Carsound cat or something like that, NOT a test pipe. Test pipes are very pointless. You will polute the air and will not pass inspection.

Bostonhoodhop 09-14-2006 06:38 PM

iiighhtt hmmm...how will it sound leavin stock piping,cat and res.... just cuttin the stock muffler and weldin a performance muffler? or straight piping 2.25 pipe cat to muffler...no res???

smit3413 09-14-2006 06:56 PM

no resonator will sound awful and it will be loud as hell in your car too... leave the resonator! and it depends on which muffler you get for the stock piping. some will sound deep and cool, some will sound ricey. i think twin loop mufflers are popular and magnaflow mufflers are good too.

Bostonhoodhop 09-14-2006 07:28 PM

what should i be looking to pay at a shop if i supply the muffler... if i want 2.25 pipin cat back...add a resonator and weld the muffler complete that way???? also what would it cost aprox for just cuttin the muffler and weldin the new one???? thanx

devney 09-14-2006 08:35 PM

I paid a little over 100 for my custom 2.25 piping and installation. Of course I supplied the cat, the muffler, and a resonator. And the shop I go to is really cheap so I'm not sure what you can expect. To just weld a new muffler on it's not gonna be very much. Once again the shop I go to is cheap and I only got charged 30 bucks when I had a muffler welded on one time, but it won't be that much.

fglaustin 09-15-2006 11:56 AM

i replaced the resonator on a 67 cougar with a straight pipe years ago and it was only just a little louder. something noticeable at first, but after a short time of getting use to it - was to my liking. and that was on a 289 v 8.

speedstream 09-15-2006 01:32 PM

just run my setup. its 2.25 cat-back w/ resonator and no exhaust(side exit)...it sounds really deep and at high rpms it sounds awesome....i honestly am not into raspy sounds but my cars sound at high rpms is sweet....for under 4k tho its all deep tone until after and its higher pitched....i paid 35 for removal of everything and the setup