Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Stock exhaust took a crap -Update 05/13

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 02:05 PM
HCF Member
Default Stock exhaust took a crap -Update 05/13

Alrighty, so for months I've been talking about upgrading my exhaust to a Megan Racing drift spec and my header to a Megan 4-2-1. I've been putting it off even though my header had a crack in it just due to money issues. Well now I have another problem aside from my cracked header. I got ready to go to work today and I noticed that when I started my car, it sounded like I went on Ebay and bought a $20 fart can and slapped it on. I though it was possbly the crack in the header had gotten worse due to recent rain and temp changes. Needless to say I ended up taking my mom's car to work and left mine at home. I had my dad take a look at it while I was at work and he discoved that a flange had let go.

When I got home I jacked up my car and took some pics.

Here's the section of my exhaust that let go:
Name:  IMG_0594-1.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  47.6 KB
Is there any way to temporarily repair it til I get all of my stuff for my exhaust conversion?

And here's a couple pics
of my cracked header:
Name:  IMG_0596.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  29.3 KB

I know I need to get the Megan 4-2-1 for the EX as well as the drift spec exhaust for the EX, a o2 sensor extender and another Cat converter.

Anybody have any recommendations as far as affordable cats go?

I'm so fricking stressed right now, I'm hunting online for the best price on the megan exhaust for my car as well as all of the other stuff I need. Any clue on where to get the o2 sensor extenders?

And I know you're gonna say "Use the search function"... Trust me, I have, I wasn't able to find all the info I need from it so that's why I'm asking.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:56 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Stock exhaust took a crap (W/ Pics)

Regarding the fart can noise, I think replacing exhaust pipe A is the solution. As a temporary fix, try to pick up an inexpensive used pipe from a salvage yard.

Name:  picture_0852.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  70.9 KB

Old 05-10-2008, 06:11 PM
HCF Member

Thanks Ron!

Old 05-10-2008, 06:36 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well for a quick fix for the joint.... try a muffler shop if they can just weld the flange back onto the header... thats odd... ive never seen a header crack and it bust apart... WFT you done to that thing.LOL

but the cracked header at least doesnt look to bad..... at least there is no black soot so its not leaking out the cracks yet....

Old 05-10-2008, 06:47 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: addiction2bass

well for a quick fix for the joint.... try a muffler shop if they can just weld the flange back onto the header... thats odd... ive never seen a header crack and it bust apart... WFT you done to that thing.LOL

but the cracked header at least doesnt look to bad..... at least there is no black soot so its not leaking out the cracks yet....
You can't see it in the pic but there is a bit of soot being blown onto the front of the engine. I just ordered my megan header, so that should hopefully be here by the end of the week. I'm still trying to find a good price on a Cat. I'm probably going to go with a Magnaflow cat if I can find a good deal on one online. I'm debating on getting one from Partstrain.com and having my dad weld it since it's not a direct bolt on.

Any clue on where to get the extenders for the 2nd O2 sensor? Or am I going to have to fudge it and get a simulator?

Old 05-10-2008, 06:57 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well if your new header has a front O2 sesor location you shouldnt need the extender or simulator..... i wouldnt think...

but to my knowledge theres only one header brand that has the extenders but i dont think they sell them seperate.. i think its only with there header... cannt remember the name at this second tho.....

as for the cat... i would just sugest a bolt on replacement one....... that way you should have the perfect fit!

Old 05-10-2008, 07:12 PM
HCF Member

I thought I read though that if you are doing a full EX exhaust conversion from a lx/dx/cx that you need to get an extender for the 2nd O2 sensor or else you'll throw a CEL?

Old 05-11-2008, 08:23 AM
HCF Member

when you get a DC sports header they come with O2 sensor extensions

Old 05-11-2008, 08:42 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ya thats it... i couldnt think of it to save my life...

Old 05-13-2008, 07:23 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Stock exhaust took a crap-Update!

Alrighty, I've ordered my magnaflow direct-fit cat converter (from jcwhitney), Megan 4-2-1 header, and my drift spec exhaust. The only thing I have left to locate is the extender for the 2nd o2 sensor. Hopefully all this stuff will arrive wihtin the next week or two. I'm getting tired of driving my mom's beastly Impala since its a gas guzzler and gas is up to about $4 here.[:@]