HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Header, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   Throttle body help (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/throttle-body-help-90533/)

Loomis112 09-13-2011 09:04 AM

Throttle body help

:confused:So basically the other day I bolted on an ebay 68mm throttle body that said it would fit perfectly on my 96 ex anyways I ran into a bunch of problems and thank god it all worked out..or so I thought when I drive now the throttle sticks like CRAZY its the flap on the inside so I was wandering if theres anyway to greese it or lube it I dont wanna try anythign unless i knwo for sure it will work thanks.

cvcrcr99 09-13-2011 09:17 AM

What was wrong with your OEM unit? Are you sure that is it sticking, or is it just a huge vacuum leak?

Did you replace the gasket, or make a new gasket for the TB to IM connection?

Did you port match you OEM Intake manifold to the throttle body?

Loomis112 09-13-2011 09:40 AM

Yea im absolutley sure its sticking even out of the box it was pretty sticky.

and yea it came with a set of gaskets.

I'm not sure what you mean by port match I just recently started to fix this civic and barley have a clue of what im doing.

I mostly have semi stupid friends and forums like this to help me hah.

cvcrcr99 09-13-2011 10:26 AM

Port matching is making the Intake Manifold opening match the size of the throttle body opening. Without doing that, installing a bigger throttle body is basically pointless. This can be done with a Dremel, however, I doubt the OEM intake manifold can be ported that big. Also, the Intake manifold must be removed from the vehicle when doing this.

OEM TB - OEM IM
o - o

Your new TB - OEM IM
O - o

You are still being restricted by the OEM intake manifold. You are only as "free flowing" as your most restrictive piece in the system. Make sense?

I am not sure how to help you with the after market TB, but if the OEM TB has oil and junk in it, that is your problem. Take come brake cleaner, spray it in there and clean everything out with an old toothbrush.

When you say "sticking", you can physically "feel" the pedal sticking and you have to push on it harder to "unstick" and rev up the motor, right?

Lastly, what brand TB did you buy? eBay is not a brand.

Loomis112 09-13-2011 11:30 AM

I really should have taken that into account when buying that was a pretty dumb move on my part haha.

and yea I have to rev up the engine to get it to unstick

and it says it was an integra GSR TB that was promised to fit a 96 ex but the actual piece that you wrap the throttle cable around was flipped so I actually had to take the stock TB peice and switch it so that it would fit properly

That being said though it stuck even when I pulled it right out of the box when the Ups guy handed it to me.

cvcrcr99 09-13-2011 12:11 PM

Well, it is not an OEM GSR TB if it is actually 68mm. GSR's have a 60mm TB from stock. I just installed one on my H22.

Is it brand new? What brand is it? Basically any D/B/H/F throttle body will physically bolt up, but the throttle cable may need to be tweaked to operate correctly.

Clean out the OEM one like I mentioned, reinstall, and see if that changes anything.

Also, have you contacted the eBay seller?

Loomis112 09-13-2011 03:56 PM

Yea I kinda figured that they didn't come that big stock.

and thats all it said other than that there really is no brand, not on the throttle body or the box.

Thanks for the help and yes I did contact him and he said ill give you a 5% discount whenever you buy from me again well thats not gonna happen.

cvcrcr99 09-14-2011 05:33 AM

You could always request for a refund/return since the product does not work as described. If he refuses, file a PayPal claim stating that the item does not work as intended.

Ever get a chance to clean out the OEM unit and reinstall that?