Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

The Truth of the "Tornado"

Old 09-14-2005, 11:55 AM
HCF Member
Default The Truth of the "Tornado"

Special thanks goes to "dj_ipirate" for writing this!

The truth about the Tornado

The Tornado's promised gained horse power and better gas milage by creating a 'tornado like' air current forcing more air into your engine faster saving you gas. This is a very logical concept, like when 2 bottles are taped together with water, when you just flip it over the water is verry clunky. but give it a little swirl any you got a tornado putting more water in the bottle faster. But the truth is, water is not air.

All intakes for cars are made differently and isnt as simple as giving a bottle a little swirl. Sure the tornado does its job of swirling air, but its not putting anymore air than usual. So, you just have clogging your intake. End result, your actually wasting gas.

People wrote to tornado saying it saved them gas. But the truth is, the tornado is in your head. I used to have a Hyundai Accent. There was no aftermarket performance parts for it. So I was desperate and saw the tornado. I got the tornado in and took my car out for a spin. I thought my car was faster! And I thought I was getting better gas. But months later, my gas bill was more than before.

But what didnt make sense was how people where claiming they got better gas milage?
I realize that all the people that were claiming this had large trucks or large engines. The tornado was simply in there head. They got the tornado wanting to save gas, and they did just like me! Because they took more caution on there pedal control, rying to save more gas. Just like when you fill up at the pump, you see you spent $25+ dollars on gas and drive off more carefull because you want it to last. But once that needle drops a little you are back to the way you used to drive. But the Tornado is not gas and you know its always in your car so you are more prone to thinking about it.

End conclusion, the Tornado does not work mechanically, but in your mind.

Old 09-14-2005, 11:58 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: The Truth of the "Tornado"

But the truth is, water is not air.
As far as fluid dynamics go... yes it is.

Old 09-14-2005, 12:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Street Sniper

But the truth is, water is not air.
As far as fluid dynamics go... yes it is.
your right but there is no weight behind it though.so its not efficient

Old 09-14-2005, 12:01 PM
HCF Member

I think his example was reffering to that little fun twister in a cole bottle thingy.

Old 09-14-2005, 12:24 PM

yeah i forgot to specify.

Old 09-14-2005, 12:32 PM
HCF Member

Oh, I know what he was talking about and that thing has more to do with pressure than flow, but for all intents and purposes, and for our applications, air is a fluid and the principles of getting it in and out (flow), appply.

Weapon R has employed this same principle in their "Secret Weapon" intake filters and people are eating it up and buying them like hotcakes.

I am not being argumentitive or trying to salt Dj_ Pirate's game, but I dont' really think this should be a sticky. The title implies "Truth", whereas it's just his opinion. I am not saying the Turbonater works, but I have never seen a dyno proving or disproving that fact (other than the infomercial). Physically speaking, the concept is sound, but ideally I would like to see the inner walls of the intake "rifled" instead of having an obstruction, because at the intake charge speeds and cfm that we use, I think being in the middle of the pipe would hinder flow more than helping it. But, that just my contention, I have no dyno or airflow meter to back that up.

The only blatant misinformation they are saying is that the "swirling" effect mixes the air/fuel better, when in fact, laminar flow is the only way to keep the fuel in it's atomized state.

Old 09-14-2005, 12:50 PM

still the tornado is crap. i had one. it sucked.[:'(]

Old 09-14-2005, 01:15 PM
HCF Member

Thats a good point Street. But I made this a sticky simply because we always get this type of question and also dj actually has had one. This will also be a nice gateway down the road sooner or later for others who have also had one so they may share their comments.

Old 09-14-2005, 02:54 PM
HCF Member

All I have to say is Thank You HCF for providing the knowledge that this item is crap and I'm glad I didn't buy one.

Old 09-14-2005, 03:00 PM

your welcome!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Truth of the "Tornado"