Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

The Truth of the "Tornado"

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 05:27 PM
Default RE: The Truth of the "Tornado"

fo-sho

Old 12-27-2005, 06:33 PM

The Tornado ranks up there with the "Turbonator" and Slick 50 (for those old enough to remember that big scam)

Air and fuel mixture theory and common sense will both tell you that this product simply cannot do what they claim it can do. For one, anything inserted into the air intake between the filter and throttle body or pre air filter acts as nothing more than a restricter.

Think about it. Yes, the swirling "tornado" idea seems logical to some degree, but what happens to that nice tornado swirl when it hits the baffel in your throttle body? Its no longer a swirl now is it. Its basically a swirl of air that hits a flat baffel in your throttle body and is broken up and no longer swirling.

The only true way to keep this swirl is to have your valve guides riffled out like a drill bit. This way the air can swirl into the cylinder and mix with the fuel from your injector. This scenerio could also be disproven I bet.

Save your hard-earned moolah for something that works. I heard that adding a JDM sticker helps some. lol

Old 01-03-2006, 12:28 PM

I may not know that much about cars, but I know science and I can tell you it won't help for one key reason. I'll try to put it into words, but it may not come out all that clear.

The coke bottle demo doesn't accurately respresent your car. The coke bottle is a closed system with a set amount of water and air in it. When you just flip it upside down, the reason it doesn't flow smoothly is that the air in the bottom bottle is trying to move up to take up space of water that moved from the top to the bottom. Its just like when you take a single bottle fill it up and turn it over. Air needs to get in to occupy space that was once taken up by water. Correct me if I'm wrong, but cars don't work like that. Your intake doesn't have to move air out inorder to take more in, thats what the exhaust is for. So there shouldn't be that kind of problem in your intake. An engine is a one way street for air, and the bottle demo is a two way street.

thats the physics reason why it won't help any, I hope I wrote that understandably.

Old 01-03-2006, 08:02 PM
HCF Member

teh Tornado no worky!? Oh NOeSSSSS!!!1

Old 03-13-2006, 10:41 AM
Recognized HCF Member

we put one on our tundra and we did a really long trip with pulling our 6 by 12 trailer and we actualy got 2 more miles to the gallon went from 14mpg to 16mpg lol. But heres the catch with the 14mpg we were just driving manuely and with the 16mpg we were on CRUISE CONTROL all the way.... so yeah bottom line the TARNADO is just a gemic to make money and im sure some guy is loaded with it now..

Old 03-23-2006, 09:11 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Seafoamgreencivic

I may not know that much about cars, but I know science and I can tell you it won't help for one key reason. I'll try to put it into words, but it may not come out all that clear.

The coke bottle demo doesn't accurately respresent your car. The coke bottle is a closed system with a set amount of water and air in it. When you just flip it upside down, the reason it doesn't flow smoothly is that the air in the bottom bottle is trying to move up to take up space of water that moved from the top to the bottom. Its just like when you take a single bottle fill it up and turn it over. Air needs to get in to occupy space that was once taken up by water. Correct me if I'm wrong, but cars don't work like that. Your intake doesn't have to move air out inorder to take more in, thats what the exhaust is for. So there shouldn't be that kind of problem in your intake. An engine is a one way street for air, and the bottle demo is a two way street.

thats the physics reason why it won't help any, I hope I wrote that understandably.
This is true. You can't funnel more air into the intake manifold than the engine wants to suck in through vacuum pressure.

Old 03-23-2006, 10:11 AM

I had one on my 89 chevy pickup with a 350. I got a constant 19.5 mpg with it on and 16.7 with it off. I bought one for my Isuzu Hombre(s-10) and I saw no chang in performance or gas milage.

I guess it might depend on the application. The intake on the Chevy had a 90degree turn into the TBI, the Hombre went straight into the TB.

I wouldn't waist my money on one for my Civic.

Old 03-24-2006, 10:52 PM
HCF Member

**** the tornado. I thought it was garbage when I heard about it.

Old 03-25-2006, 12:06 AM

Would take me some time to find again .. but someone on an auto review thread for Bimmer used a Gtech with the Turbonador... had several runs.. some lower in HP and some higher.. but all right around the same average as it would be without the unit.. Just FYI .. since that is somewhat proof data if i can find the thread again..

Old 03-25-2006, 04:06 AM
HCF Member

Ok no more needed to get the point across on this subject

Quick Reply: The Truth of the "Tornado"