Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Wanting to upgrade. Need Advise!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 02:34 PM
Default Wanting to upgrade. Need Advise!

Hey I'm new to moding rides and new to this site. I have a 1999 (silver) Honda Civic Ex Coupe. Everything is stock which I think is perfect for upgrading. This summer I also plan to get my first job to save up some money. I'm 17 by the way I was thinking to upgrade my cold air intake, headers, and exhaust first. I was looking at some exhausts on eBay and they have some good prices compared to these online warehouses. I was wondering if any of yoiu could give me some good names of exhausts and intakes. Also if you guys think eBay is legit, or are all they all cheats Headers and intake seem straight forward. I was wondering what a "catback" exhaust was and does it differ from other exhaust systems.

To some this up if someone could hit me up with some good names, but kind of budget prices, and where to buy them that would be cool.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:07 PM
Super Cereal Admin
Default RE: Wanting to upgrade. Need Advise!

We have three FAQ's here (Intake,Header, and Exhaust) that will answer most of your questions.

Anyway, starting out with an I/H/E combo is a great idea. I'm not 100% sure I'd trust what you buy on ebay since there's a lot of counterfeit parts there. Anyway, AEM, Injen, and K&N all make great intakes. If you live in Cali, you'll want a DC or Hedman header, as they are the only ones (that I know of) that are carb-legal. If you don't live in cali, I'd recommend either a Megan Racing header or a Hedman (I have a Hedman Chikara header and love it).

A cat-back exhaust means it replaces your stock exhaust from the catalytic converter ("cat") to the muffler. Other exhausts could be an axle-back (replacing the exhaust from just in front of the rear wheels to the muffler) or just a muffler (obviously replacing only the oem muffler). Don't even bother with universal mufflers or axle-back systems. Get a cat-back instead, since they actually provide decent gains (realistically 5hp tops).

Anyway, check out the FAQ's for brands, and I think the exhaust faq has a few sound samples so you can hear what certain exhausts will sound like.

Also, here's a general budget guide for the parts (they're estimates):

Short-Ram Intake: $50-$150
Cold-Air Intake: $100-$300
Header: $150 (don't get a $50 ebay piece) - $500+
Exhaust: ~$500, give or take

and try checking out places like ProCivic and Summit Racing... they have good selections.

Welcome to the forums btw

*edit: whoops, broken link

Old 03-27-2008, 03:37 PM
HCF Member

You know where a great place to find all that stuff????
Here is an awesome site:
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/search.asp

Old 03-27-2008, 08:20 PM

Hey thnx a lot for the advice. Yeah I just noticed the FAQ's at the beginning of the forums which could answer all my questions. Sorry for not looking there first I'm totally checking out those sites and yeah I live in Cali so I'll go with your recommendations. Thnx again