Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

What is this?

Old 11-23-2006, 01:20 PM
Default What is this?

Looking under the 98 Civic today thinking about what I am going to do for the exhaust. When I bought the car, it already had one of the “open, free flowing” type of mufflers on it. I was thinking about ordering a ‘cat-back” system, but hate throwing away the muffler that is already on there now because it looks new and appears to be a high quality piece.

Here is my question, while looking under the car, I can see where the pipe comes off the cat at the front and it goes pretty strait until about midway down the car where it runs into something that appears to be similar in shape to one of the old “cherry bomb” style glass packs, then exits that and goes to the muffler at the tail. What is that thing? I havent had the car jacked up where I can crawl under there and inspect it, but was wondering if it had sensors hooked to it and if it would hurt to remove.

I was just planning on cutting the exhaust off at the cat and again at the muffler and running some new bigger tubing pipe inbetween. I can get this done at the muffler shop for under a hundred bucks as apposed to $500-600 for a cat-back system. What dia of exhaust pipe would you recogmend, possibly 2.25? The exhaust is pretty quiet now considering the muffler is a strait through design and was wanting a little more "deep" and "throaty" sound as apposed to just "loud." Think this will do the trick?

Thanks

Old 11-23-2006, 02:10 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: What is this?

it is a Resonator

go to this link, and go down and read under resonator

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Miscella...austtheory.htm

Old 11-23-2006, 03:14 PM

thanks for the reply...checked it out and i prob want to keep a resonator on, but will most likely need one other than stock. I see them on the cat-back systems, but have looked a several web sites already and have not found any that just sell the resonator. you know any place that sells them individually and what size would i need if i stick with 2.25 pipe...how long i guess i should say?

thanks again

Old 11-23-2006, 06:37 PM
mxs
HCF Member

take a picture of the system that is on there now

Old 11-23-2006, 08:13 PM
HCF Member

you can usually buy like a GReddy or Skunk2 res. off of ebay seperately.

Old 11-24-2006, 08:06 AM

ORIGINAL: rojapar

thanks for the reply...checked it out and i prob want to keep a resonator on, but will most likely need one other than stock. I see them on the cat-back systems, but have looked a several web sites already and have not found any that just sell the resonator. you know any place that sells them individually and what size would i need if i stick with 2.25 pipe...how long i guess i should say?

thanks again

Hey i was recommended from somebody else on this site who bought a good resonator from ebay (which i did and awaited for its arrive) and it is a great quality performance resonator. So go here and check out this resonator http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAGNA...spagenameZWDVW

Also that resonator is for a 2.5 piping which i have on my car. So you can try to find one for 2.25 or you could just go with 2.5 piping. I personally like the 2.5 piping and have expereince gains from it. So its your call.

Old 11-24-2006, 06:10 PM

i am confused...i looked up the part number and it said it was a muffler, not a resonator. are they the same thing, interchangeable??? i have been looking all over for a true resonator and am not having any luck at all. i see all the cat-back systems already have one built in, but seems like no one sells a universal type that you can weld in. may be stuck using two mufflers i guess. might try and see what it sounds like without a resonator/extra muffler first and can always go back and have one added.

thanks for the help

Old 11-24-2006, 06:16 PM

i am confused...i looked up the part number and it said it was a muffler, not a resonator. are they the same thing, interchangeable??? i have been looking all over for a true resonator and am not having any luck at all. i see all the cat-back systems already have one built in, but seems like no one sells a universal type that you can weld in. may be stuck using two mufflers i guess. might try and see what it sounds like without a resonator/extra muffler first and can always go back and have one added.

thanks for the help

look at it again and read it throughly. Or to a ctrl+f and type in resonator. You'll see it. Its a resonator that can be used as a muffler, but when use behind a custom muffler it is a resonator. Example. If you have a muffler and piping but no resonator, than you can use that item behind the muffler you already have and it become a full true resonator.

4" Round / 2.5" Center Inlet / 2.5" Center Outlet / 14" Body Length / 20" Overall Length The 4" round body muffler/resonator features the same internal straight-through construction, which can be used in conjunction with a muffler to reduce sound or independently as an aggressive sounding muffler.All mufflers are reversible for custom installation.

2.5 Center 2.5 Center

Old 11-24-2006, 07:56 PM

i get it now...you can use two of those and one can act as a muffler and the other can be a resonator...or vise-versa.

Old 11-25-2006, 03:00 PM

i get it now...you can use two of those and one can act as a muffler and the other can be a resonator...or vise-versa.

YOu got it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.