HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Header, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   What would be best (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/what-would-best-8743/)

Beast8411 08-11-2005 05:47 PM

What would be best

I have just decided to to begin modifying my 04 civic ex and am pretty much new to this. Most people say that CAI is the best way to get bang for your buck. Is that true? Also, if i were to install a CAI, would I need to make any other mods to get the full potential of the CAI, such as exhaust. Thanks

Big T 08-11-2005 09:39 PM

RE: What would be best

A cold air will give you a little more horsepower, but your don't won't to get one if it rains alot in your area. Your engine will hydro-lock. I have a short ram intake, got it for about $80 at sportcompactonly.com. It will give you about 4-7 hp compared to a cold air's 12-15hp. But the cold air is more expensive and dangerous if it rains. It's your choice. And no, you don't need anything to go with the intake to make it work, it should all be included in the kit. Not hard at all to install. Also, no I don't believe doing anything to the exhaust will enhance your intake's power. An intercooler would make it more powerful though. Hope it helps.

Forty04 08-12-2005 08:58 AM

For the 50th ****ing time... With an AEM CAI, the WHOLE TIP would have to be submerged for it to hydrolock your engine. My AEM says right on the side of the pipe "Do not use if you intend on driving through 16" or more of water." If you put your car into 16" inches of water, hydrolocking from your CAI is probably not your highest concern...

Truthfully, the numbers aren't THAT much different between sri and cai, but they do favor CAI. They also supply different amounts of power, and different points in your RPMs

ngoti 8tor 08-12-2005 09:07 AM

ORIGINAL: Beast8411
if i were to install a CAI, would I need to make any other mods to get the full potential of the CAI, such as exhaust.
With just a CAI, you'll get a few more HP, but in order to get the full potential of the CAI, you should also increase the size and performance of the exhaust. An engine cannot breathe properly if lots of air goes in, but the exhaust restricts some from coming out.

Dreamer16 08-12-2005 12:32 PM

u could do wut i did and have a cai but take off on pipe, and then u have the cold air anytime u wanna put it on, but u could do the sri style haha

Street Sniper 08-12-2005 01:44 PM

Best bang for how much buck?

The cheapest and best gain (other than NAWWWZZZZ) is a cat-back, I think. I picked up 7-8Hp for $150. Now it aint no stinkin GReedy, but it's 2.5" mandrel bent and I wouldn't care if it was APC for that.

Drop-in K&N filter or a knock off SRI with a K&N and a cat-back will get you 10Hp for ~ $300 if you shop around and don't have to have GReedy.

Nail I3unny 08-12-2005 09:45 PM

i agree with sniper. a catback is a better bang for the buck. you get 7-8 hp with a catback...but some figures say you get 5-8 hp with an AEM V2. with both youd prolly land around 12-14.