HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Header, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   What would be the cheap but descent header for a 1997 lx stock engine? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/what-would-cheap-but-descent-header-1997-lx-stock-engine-85512/)

papachee 09-25-2010 12:29 PM

What would be the cheap but descent header for a 1997 lx stock engine?

I'm looking to buy a new header for my civic because my old catalytic converter is rusted out and sucks oil and gas. I want to get rid of the converter completely and just run pipe. I've looked every were but can't decide what header would be best to get. Any ideas?

hondaCivic1997L 11-20-2010 10:56 PM

catalytic converter and manifold

If your 97 civic was purchased less than 14 years ago today and has less than 150,000 miles, the cracked manifold and catalytic converter should be covered by warranty per the consent decree between Honda and the EPA.

http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resour...erhonda-cd.pdf

Don't be bullied by the Honda dealers that tell you it is not covered if it is the style that has the exhaust manifold bolted to the catalytic converter. Per pages 10 and 11 of the decree, all parts including intake, fuel metering, throttle, injection, ignition, exhaust and emissions are covered per Appendix B. Some Honda dealers are lying or have been misinformed about coverage. Take a copy of the decree to them and make Honda do what they agreed to in the decree. This is the law. If they don't cooperate, call your state attorney general and ask to talk to someone in consumer protection.

rc2904 11-27-2010 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by hondaCivic1997L (Post 743114)
If your 97 civic was purchased less than 14 years ago today and has less than 150,000 miles, the cracked manifold and catalytic converter should be covered by warranty per the consent decree between Honda and the EPA.

http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resour...erhonda-cd.pdf

Don't be bullied by the Honda dealers that tell you it is not covered if it is the style that has the exhaust manifold bolted to the catalytic converter. Per pages 10 and 11 of the decree, all parts including intake, fuel metering, throttle, injection, ignition, exhaust and emissions are covered per Appendix B. Some Honda dealers are lying or have been misinformed about coverage. Take a copy of the decree to them and make Honda do what they agreed to in the decree. This is the law. If they don't cooperate, call your state attorney general and ask to talk to someone in consumer protection.

Who the hell is cheap enough to print out some decree and take it to a dealership to show them why you think you deserve free ****. Even if they do agree to replace it you then have to leave them ur car while waiting for it to get worked on. I work for a living so I dont have time for all that crap and I dont know anybody pedantic enough to deal with all that. Parts arent indestructible and if you own a 14 year old car you should expect things to break and to have to buy things. If your header is broke buy a new one on ebay and get on with your life. Takes maybe an hour to put it on yourself.

StifflersMom 11-27-2010 05:07 PM

If you're entitled to free parts and have time - go for it.

reaper2022 11-27-2010 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by rc2904 (Post 743622)
Who the hell is cheap enough to print out some decree and take it to a dealership to show them why you think you deserve free ****. Even if they do agree to replace it you then have to leave them ur car while waiting for it to get worked on. I work for a living so I dont have time for all that crap and I dont know anybody pedantic enough to deal with all that. Parts arent indestructible and if you own a 14 year old car you should expect things to break and to have to buy things. If your header is broke buy a new one on ebay and get on with your life. Takes maybe an hour to put it on yourself.

Do me a favor. Call the nearest Subaru dealership and get a price estimate for the front catalytic converters for any vehicle equipped with a 3.0L H6 engine. Add in 1.5 hours of labor for R&R as well as 0.5 hours for diagnosis (yes, we do charge for diagnosis) at $90-$100/hr and tell me you wouldn't want it replaced free of charge. Oh, if you're not motivated enough to call, the customer price on the cat I was talking about is right around $1,000.

hondaCivic1997L 11-28-2010 08:24 AM

rc2904,

Oh, I guess you are right. I should not expect Honda to honor the warranty I paid for as part of the price when I purchased the car.

Oh yes, you are also correct that taking five minutes to print out the decree to save $2,000 in repair costs is a waste of time for us working class people. Yes, I guess I am frugal...that's why I have a 14 year old car that runs like a top.

Honda and their dealers were ripping their customers off and they got caught. That is why they settled with the EPA, in federal court, with the consent decree that THEY SIGNED! Why should Honda have to pay for ripping people off? Isn't this America, where dealers can tell customers anything they want and not be held accountable?? What's this country coming to when we customers don't just lean over and grab our ankles?

P.S., are you a dealer or a tech at a dealer? You sound like one.

hondaCivic1997L 11-28-2010 08:51 AM

rc2904 catalytic header exhaust A-pipe

rc 2904,

Oh, did I forget to mention that the 150,000 mile 14 year warranty covers everything in your Warranty book that is part of the emissions warranty as mandated by US law?

Includes fuel tank, fuel system, intake, injectors, plugs, distributor, exhaust manifold, catalytic converter, A-pipe, o2 sensors, transmission sensors, etc., etc..

If the dealer denied you free parts and labor, and you took your vehicle to another shop or did the work yourself, you can take your receipts to a Honda dealer and they must submit it to Honda to repay you.

If you had these repairs done and your dealer charged you for them, you can also take your receipts in an get a refund. Dealers usually charge you more than Honda pays them for hours, so they must eat the difference because they screwed up charging you in the first place.

P.S., Or are you an aftermarket parts supplier?:)