Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Z6 v.s. Y8 intake manifold (i searched)

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 04:17 PM
HCF Member
Default Z6 v.s. Y8 intake manifold (i searched)

Which one would be better for a D16Y7? I can get a z6 intake manifold but if the Y8 is better than that then i will hold off and look for a Y8. I plan on doing a mini me so im starting to get parts together and I do plan to turbo eventually if that makes a difference. I searched and couldn't find the answer i was looking for so if i could get some opinions that would be great.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:36 PM
Cat Fuсker
Default RE: Z6 v.s. Y8 intake manifold (i searched)

I wouldn't do a minime...I'd do a z6 manifold and than turbo and save money on the VTEC head and just put more towards the turbo setup.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:49 PM
HCF Member

i dont know a lot about the intake manifolds but i talked to a lot of people who drive a 95 civic ex thats teh d16z6 and they said they swaped to the y8 manifold... so id do it too but im alreayd with the y8 hah

Old 03-18-2007, 01:01 AM
HCF Member

Roto do you think my stock engine could handle the turbo? I know all the d blocks are the same but wouldn't it make more sense to redo some of the internals and get the engine more powerful and able to handle more, then turbo it? How much would you be able to push the engine with everything stock and a turbo?

Old 03-18-2007, 12:42 PM
Cat Fuсker

If you don't believe me on this ask Marty:-D The y7 is more than capable of running boosted. Just make sure to not overdo it. But forged internals would make "cheap insurance" against Tony's case...

Old 03-18-2007, 12:50 PM
HCF Member

Thanx a lot Roto i really appreciate the help. What would i be able to run for psi if i went with turboing the Y7 with the z6 intake mani? I want to start a build where i get the most out of my D without going overkill and ruining it, so would it be best to turbo the y7 now and then build up the internals with a mini me?

Old 03-18-2007, 02:16 PM
Cat Fuсker

don't do a minime. Just build up the bottom end. You're adding more things that can fail with a minime. Get eagle rods, JE or other pistons, a good tune, and a stage 2 clutch,and call it a day getting 200whp safely. Trust me, 200 will be more than enough for now. I would get a 25T from a volvo or a saab as they are spooling really early and 200whp is about all they're capable of...cheap and reliable. And don't be scared of them being water cooled. It is not that big of a deal.

Old 03-18-2007, 05:50 PM
HCF Member

As far as manifold choice, I just saw some dynos that indicate the z6 has a higher peak hp, but the y8 has a little bump in the mid range similar to a CAI, but it's really all about what works for your set-up.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:52 AM
HCF Member

also, the IACV d16z6 is on the intake manifold, and on the y7 its on the throttle body, meaning you will have 2 IACV's. You'll have to plug one of them, personally i'd prolly plug the z6's (if youre keeping the y7 throttle body).

And like Roto said, the mini-me/VTEC is just another thing that can fail. Rock the y7 and do a mild boost setup, you'll be lovin it.

Old 03-19-2007, 01:08 PM
HCF Member

im going to get the z6 intake mani on wednesday and it comes with everything like the fuel rail, tb, injectors. What problems may i run into and will anything need to be changed over for it to work? I dont want to throw a cel cuz of sumthing that wont be able to be plugged in with the new manifold. What do you mean by "you will have 2 IACV's. You'll have to plug one of them, personally i'd prolly plug the z6's (if youre keeping the y7 throttle body)". If one stays unplugged whats gonna happen?

Quick Reply: Z6 v.s. Y8 intake manifold (i searched)