HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Inside and Out (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/inside-out-9/)
-   -   50 dollar paint job! (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/inside-out-9/50-dollar-paint-job-20384/)

Xoopiter 04-16-2006 10:12 PM

RE: 50 dollar paint job!

I would never do that to any car other then a beater. There is a reason paint jobs are thousands of dollars. Id love to see those cars after 6 months. Especially in Canada.

Jeff

sbowers 04-16-2006 10:24 PM

that guy said he has had it on his beetle for 6 years. in theory rustoleum paint will withstand the test of time pretty well. I am seriously considering tryint to do this on my civic tomorrow because it is a beater and i guess it cant get any worse than just being black and the rest of the car being white.

US3R!!!11one 04-17-2006 09:49 AM

This needs a sticky

ef4life 04-17-2006 10:03 AM

first off, i second the sticky

second, when i find a clean ed shell i am going to do this paint job, 50 bucks is worth a try, and i can do real good prep work/ wet sanding

xjbmx 04-17-2006 02:51 PM

ORIGINAL: MccM

later in the ginormous thread i think it is confirmed that tremclad=rustoleum
originally after viewing the first few pages of the original thread on the mopar forum here i thought that the rustoleum was the same as the tremclad but if you keep reading apparently it isnt quite the same.

Rustoleum says tremclad is a canadian brach of their business but the formula for tremclad and rust stop rustoleum is not the same. It is made to do the same thing but it isn't the same "recipe". So we don't know for sure they are the same paint just that they are close. Somebody in the original thread even tries the rustoleum and says it chips off pretty easily. Be careful if you using rustoleum and test it out first.

MccM 04-17-2006 05:59 PM

ORIGINAL: xjbmx

ORIGINAL: MccM

later in the ginormous thread i think it is confirmed that tremclad=rustoleum
originally after viewing the first few pages of the original thread on the mopar forum here i thought that the rustoleum was the same as the tremclad but if you keep reading apparently it isnt quite the same.

Rustoleum says tremclad is a canadian brach of their business but the formula for tremclad and rust stop rustoleum is not the same. It is made to do the same thing but it isn't the same "recipe". So we don't know for sure they are the same paint just that they are close. Somebody in the original thread even tries the rustoleum and says it chips off pretty easily. Be careful if you using rustoleum and test it out first.
yea i just didnt have the time to read all 10000000 pages. can you order tremclad?

PsYcHo_DoUgHbOy 04-17-2006 06:19 PM

Admac- using full strength coats, I'd be worried about the paint drying completely. One benefit to the thinned paint is that it dries faster all the way through. I have done a single coat of black rustoleum pro and mineral spirits, and after a day it was rock hard and unscratchable (as are the results of others here). But where I spilled black paint here and there at full strength, to this day I can slice it with my nail. I think when it goes on too thick, the top portion can dry before the paint underneath has had a chance to evaporate the solvents, and it stays soft indefinately since the top layer, which might be hard, is sitting on uncured soft paint underneath it..
im actually thinking about doing this to my 93 civic, thinking of painting it white... right now, the paint on the roof, well, there is barely any paint on the roof, and the hood are really bad, and the front bumper and mirrors and other things are faded

Shandles 04-17-2006 10:14 PM

This is a definate maybe for both my Bronco and the Dakota... this summer, when I get some cash. Im thinkin maybe some flames for the Bronco... maybe the Dodge too. Ill DEFINATELY post some pics if I do anything. GOOD FIND [sm=gobble.gif]

riceburner700 04-17-2006 10:21 PM

the biggest part is just SANDING and taking your time. if you have a compressor then just get a pray gun and some bondo and you are golden..... dont forget the clear to....:D:D

mill$civic 04-18-2006 10:59 AM

ya i wouldent do that to a good car eather...looks great tho new