HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Inside and Out (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/inside-out-9/)
-   -   first mod help? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/inside-out-9/first-mod-help-91599/)

iwannacivicsi 12-12-2011 11:11 PM

first mod help?

I have a 2000 civic ex which is basically stock except for the audio system. I bought it about 2 months ago and it has 160,000 miles on it. Can you guys help me out choosing what to do first to the car? I dont currently have a stable job lol the car is already de-badged and im from chicago btw

ChristianL 12-13-2011 04:51 AM

It's not too sexy, but I'd say "maintenance". Seriously, make sure everything is up to snuff and reliable before tweaking other areas of the car. It'll make life much easier for you down the road. Trust me - I've been there.

Otherwise, the sky's the limit. But basically have a plan laid out. Figure out what you want it to be - show car, track car, drag car, a Honda interpretation of a BMW, etc. Once you have that in mind, you'll have a clear direction and won't waste time and money on mismatched parts that either don't look good together, don't work, etc. It's much better than the typical, "Slam it to the ground with lowering springs on stock shocks. Then put an Ebay intake and exhaust on it. It'll work fine and be bitchin'."

Anyway, once you have a plan, we'll be happy to make suggestions to help you get there with parts that'll fit your budget, make your car great, and not leave you with a hot mess of a Honda.

cvcrcr99 12-13-2011 05:49 AM

I would start saving up for suspension as a first mod once you have a stable job. A nice suspension system can run about $800.

iwannacivicsi 12-13-2011 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by ChristianL (Post 769852)
It's not too sexy, but I'd say "maintenance". Seriously, make sure everything is up to snuff and reliable before tweaking other areas of the car. It'll make life much easier for you down the road. Trust me - I've been there.

Otherwise, the sky's the limit. But basically have a plan laid out. Figure out what you want it to be - show car, track car, drag car, a Honda interpretation of a BMW, etc. Once you have that in mind, you'll have a clear direction and won't waste time and money on mismatched parts that either don't look good together, don't work, etc. It's much better than the typical, "Slam it to the ground with lowering springs on stock shocks. Then put an Ebay intake and exhaust on it. It'll work fine and be bitchin'."

Anyway, once you have a plan, we'll be happy to make suggestions to help you get there with parts that'll fit your budget, make your car great, and not leave you with a hot mess of a Honda.

when you say maintenance what do you mean?
I've got an oil change and replace the front wheel bearing so far.

FunkyFresh_EK 12-13-2011 11:54 AM

suspension is always a good start.. and then swap :)

ChristianL 12-13-2011 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by iwannacivicsi (Post 769862)
when you say maintenance what do you mean?
I've got an oil change and replace the front wheel bearing so far.

Definitely a good start. Just make sure the spark plugs/wires are in good shape, the timing belt is good to go, fluids changed, etc. It'd also be a good time to check non-maintenance things like motor mounts, check for body rust, or that the bushings in your suspension haven't desintigrated and your trailing arms aren't falling off. That kind of thing.

Basically, just make sure the car's in good shape. This way, if you can't afford something like a suspension now, you'll know the car's safe to drive until you can afford the new parts.

The better things work while it's stock, the exponentially easier it'll be to modify (or troubleshoot) later. It's easy to do something half-assed. It's hard to do it right.

Another suggestion I'd make is for you to get in touch with a local road-race team (like SCCA or NASA) that runs Civics, or even the local autocross clubs. When you do, introduce yourself at an event (it helps to bring donuts), and start talking to those guys. Because their cars are being pounded on relentlessly, they're big into making sure their cars are safe first and foremost. However, they also know what mods will make the difference in the car, and will probably give you some good advice. You might even want to volunteer to help them in the pits. In return, you'll get a lot of great knowledge from experienced mechanics and you'll get to brag to everyone that you play with race cars on the weekends. :cool:

iwannacivicsi 12-13-2011 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by ChristianL (Post 769889)
Definitely a good start. Just make sure the spark plugs/wires are in good shape, the timing belt is good to go, fluids changed, etc. It'd also be a good time to check non-maintenance things like motor mounts, check for body rust, or that the bushings in your suspension haven't desintigrated and your trailing arms aren't falling off. That kind of thing.

Basically, just make sure the car's in good shape. This way, if you can't afford something like a suspension now, you'll know the car's safe to drive until you can afford the new parts.

The better things work while it's stock, the exponentially easier it'll be to modify (or troubleshoot) later. It's easy to do something half-assed. It's hard to do it right.

Another suggestion I'd make is for you to get in touch with a local road-race team (like SCCA or NASA) that runs Civics, or even the local autocross clubs. When you do, introduce yourself at an event (it helps to bring donuts), and start talking to those guys. Because their cars are being pounded on relentlessly, they're big into making sure their cars are safe first and foremost. However, they also know what mods will make the difference in the car, and will probably give you some good advice. You might even want to volunteer to help them in the pits. In return, you'll get a lot of great knowledge from experienced mechanics and you'll get to brag to everyone that you play with race cars on the weekends. :cool:

how could i find local road race teams in chicago?

ChristianL 12-14-2011 05:45 AM

The season's pretty much wrapped up until March or so, but I would start by sending a note to NASA Midwest and see if they can point you to a team running Civics or Acuras. Otherwise, you can ask about volunteering, which usually means you get a place of prestige on a flag stand or the grid, and get to watch all the racing for free. Plus, you'll get to know the various teams and their members, and be around some really talented drivers, mechanics, and a number of really badass cars.

You may also want to check out Grassroots Motorsports to read up on their articles and ask questions in their Community section. They do a lot with FWD Hondas, too, so you're sure to find some helpful info. You may also find a number of folks in the Chicago area that would be happy to give advice and pass on some really great experience. Legit racers tend to be pretty friendly folks.

Remember how early on I mentioned that you should have a plan before you start? If you decide you want to go autocrossing or such with your Civic, you'll want to choose your modifications carefully so that you end up in a competitive class. Something that seems like a minor modification can easily throw you into a class full of hardcore, dedicated race cars that'll blow your doors off.

Sorry to keep writing a book for every one of my posts. Hope this is helpful.