HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Inside and Out (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/inside-out-9/)
-   -   how do i change my rpm cluster from DX to Si (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/inside-out-9/how-do-i-change-my-rpm-cluster-dx-si-25563/)

Blackice 07-18-2006 10:13 AM

how do i change my rpm cluster from DX to Si

i just bought 2000 civic coupe Dx looking to change the rpm cluster to EX or Si what do i need to do this?

khanselman 07-18-2006 11:19 AM

RE: how do i change my rpm cluster from DX to Si

1 - A EX cluster.. not sure if an SI will fit or work plug and play?
2 - a screw driver

I would assume it is the same as for an '02.
-Unscrew the two screws on the top of the black bezel around the cluster
-There are two clips on the bottom of the bezel but if you just pull it should pop right out.. might have to pull pretty hard
-Unscrew the three screws holding the cluster in. Should be one on top and two on bottom
-Pull cluster towards you and unplug the two plugs
-Insert new cluster and reverse order above... should be plug and play..

If it is different on an '00 then disreguard my post :D

cancov 07-18-2006 11:48 AM

I was just wondering.....I'm new to the civic forum, but have been on other forums. I tried a search but come up empty. I'm coming into a 2001 Honda Civic DX, 5 speed and I realized that it doesn't have a tach and honestly I kinda need a tach when the music is loud due to the fact that I can't hear the engine. My question is, if I get a dash with a tach in it, aftermarket or OEM, does my car have the plug to hook up to the dash mount odometer thing. If not, what procedures would I have to perform to equip my civic with a tach in the dash because I'm not to fond of the tachs bolted to the top of the dast or door jam. Oh and my last forum was coloradofans.com for Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyons just to throw that out there.

khanselman 07-18-2006 11:57 AM

I have an '02 civic DX.. I too wanted the tach. If you can find an EX OEM instrument guage cluster (no need for whole "dash") for the same year(s) (say 01-03) and you follow instructions above, it is plug and play.. no extra wires needed, plus it's cheaper. If you buy just an aftermarket tach you will have to do some extra wiring (those are the ones you see on the pilar and dash).. seeing i didn't do this I am not too sure how it's done, but if you use the search function here it will help..

cancov 07-18-2006 11:42 PM

khanselman, are you saying that the stock civic DX is already equiped with the wire or whatever hookup needed to support an OEM tach? I've tried a couple of searches and came up empty....seems that everybody wants one on the dash.

Blackice 07-19-2006 10:28 AM

yea i want to change the stock dx tach to an ex or Si tach

khanselman 07-19-2006 11:15 AM

Okay to clear some stuff up ... In order to get a tach on a DX you either have to swap the entire instrument cluster (the thing that hold the gas gauge, oil gauge, and speedometer).. or buy an aftermarket tach (such as this one Auto Meter Autogage Tachometers )..

A DX is wired to accept an EX cluster that has a tach and it will work plug and play.. no modification needed.. In order to install an aftermarket you have to run wires and tap into something somewhere - (not sure never done it)..

Blackice 07-19-2006 12:21 PM

yea thats all i needed to know where do you think i can go pick up an ex gauge cluster

civicex96 07-19-2006 12:39 PM

Ebay or junkyard is your best bet.

Marty 07-19-2006 01:29 PM

8 screws total, 4 on the outter panel and 4 to hold th cluster in place. All civic's are pre wired for a tach and all the same year clusters are plug and play.