HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Inside and Out (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/inside-out-9/)
-   -   how do you remove moon roof cover? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/inside-out-9/how-do-you-remove-moon-roof-cover-81982/)

JasonEJ8 03-31-2010 08:56 PM

how do you remove moon roof cover?

i want to redo my headliner black but i need to know how to get the moon roof cover out

Scott53092 03-31-2010 09:03 PM

When you drop the headliner you will see how the moonroof is held up. It is like 6 bolts and tubes connected to it, you must completely take your moon roof out to get to it. Once you have the moonroof out you can slide it out. It is a total pain to get out just to do something as small as rewrap it, I did my headliner/slider black a month or so ago. Take your time and do it right, last thing you wanna do is take it all off again!

JasonEJ8 04-01-2010 02:17 PM

ya i saw that i just didnt want to take it off if i didnt have to. thanks

cvcrcr99 04-02-2010 11:18 AM

When you remove the sun roof from the car, lay it down (glass on the bottom) on a towel. There will be two nuts (one on each side) that needs to be removed, and a little metal hinge/flap that comes up.

After that, pull the sun roof visor out, and reinstall all of the nuts/bolts.

BTW, I think it is more like 8-10 bolts for the sun roof. I could be wrong. I pulled everything out to re-wrap like 6 months ago.

Scott53092 04-02-2010 09:02 PM

^ Yea it has been a while since I did mine and I'm sure it is more than 6. Just make sure you do the moon roof well and you like it before you put it on since it is the worst to take off. Also make sure you remove the fabrric off the part where it slides before you put your own on. I put my fabric over the oem headliner and what not, but took the oem fabric off the moon roof slider. If you don't it'll be too thick and you won't be able to slide the thingon the rails. I had to redo mine because it was too bunched up.

RonJ 04-02-2010 09:25 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 12709

Attachment 12710

Attachment 12711

Civic T 06-25-2010 08:23 PM

[B]Thanks, RonJ for the detailed illustrations and instruction on sunshade removal. I have a '97 EX that the shade is shot. Fabric just hanging down like vines. I noticed it gets real hot when in direct sunlight. I am experimenting with insulation material, much like a winshield sunshade you buy at the parts store. It seemed to cool it off over 80%. Not hot to the touch at all. Just a tip to pass along. I didn't want to tint the glass so this seems to work on two levels. Glass stays clear and shade is cool so when I tackle this job, my new fabric will not meet the same fate. My question to anyone who has done this, a couple of questions: Has anyone had leaks afterwards and during re-install did everything line up ok. Sometimes when you take something apart, it don't always go back the same way...maybe it's me. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

cvcrcr99 06-25-2010 08:39 PM

When dropping the sun roof, you will have to remove the wires for the dome lights as well as the 4 tubes in the corners shown in the first picture that RonJ posted. Remove the bolts and the sun roof will come down....fast. lol

Before you start make sure the sun roof is completely closed. I would suggest having someone help you when un-/re-installing the sun roof just because it is heavy, and awkward. in a way. It is a good idea to remove the head rests on the seats so you can drop the sun roof down, turn it somewhat and bring it out of the car. Also, when dropping the sunroof, loosen all of the bolts first, then start taking them out while a friend is helping you hold the sunroof up while you remove all the bolts. Just do the opposite when reinstalling it.

As long as you hook up all the water tubes correctly, and put all the bolts back in, you shouldn't have any leaks. I have removed mine twice so far and no leaks yet. :D

frankd577 04-24-2016 04:11 AM

Great detail from RonJ, thanks! One question before I jump into this job- is the "moonroof wrench" an essential tool to make this job successful? Appreciate the feedback!