HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Inside and Out (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/inside-out-9/)
-   -   Painting Muffler with Tip - Update (Pics) (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/inside-out-9/painting-muffler-tip-update-pics-49931/)

TBon3 08-13-2007 09:49 AM

Painting Muffler with Tip - Update (Pics)

1 Attachment(s)
Hey all, I recently posted my new teg up here, and I've been doing all i can to find the little inexpensive things I can to make it looks better. One of which is my exhaust. I don't plan on getting custom exhaust or anything, so I want to clean up my muffler and buy a tip.

Addiction gave me a few tips on this because he's done the same thing, but I gotta few questions. Here's a picture of it, I'm going to be painting it black and buying a tip.

Attachment 33232

Now the problem is, see how the piping has a bend in it? most tips are about 5" long, and from where the bend starts till the end of the pipe I only have about 3" of clearance, so I don't know what I should do for a tip. I've found plenty of tips that say they fit my Teg, but I'm worried they won't.

Thanks,
TBon3

Peg_Leg 08-13-2007 09:54 AM

RE: Painting Muffler with Tip

i think that will look great and finding a tip will be fun on my 92 hatch i tried around 8 different ones till i found the right one.

windcalmer 08-13-2007 09:57 AM

You could always just take it to your local trade school adn see if they can cut off the pipe and weld you on a new one. It would take all of five minutes to do.

TBon3 08-13-2007 01:03 PM

Oh yeah, I'm also painting the muffler black.

ej6buddy 08-13-2007 01:17 PM

i was actually thinking of painting mine a matte black as well

TBon3 08-13-2007 08:42 PM

I went to Advance Auto Parts and got a Low Gloss 500 temp paint that they said should do the job. The black dude behind the counter thought I was insane (or young and naive) for wanting to paint a muffler. Meh. It will look better than that dirt can. I want to find a tip before I paint it though.

addiction2bass 08-14-2007 05:40 AM

well just out out and paint it....LOL it wont look bad without a tip ;)
your whole underbody is black... thats what i think ALL stock mufflers should be is black.....
just look at all these trailblazer SUVs... thier muffler is just hanging out in the open air... at least painting it black would make it look beter than shiny steel.LOL

just do the quick wash and clean the muffler with it cool and paint it with the hightemp paint....

but just check out some tips and see what will look good to your style and make it fit! if its so important to have a nice tip then take the tip to your local muffler shop that you wanna rock.... and tell them to cut the pipe off the muffler and weld another bent up pipe in its place to MAKE your tip be in the right spot!

TBon3 08-15-2007 09:07 AM

Have you ever had any problems with your tip getting jacked? Or would it be fine just screwing it on there?

addiction2bass 08-15-2007 12:24 PM

well in my opinion DONT get the ones that use philip screws to hold the dam tip on!!!!!!! those freaken screws strip the heads right off and YOULL NEVER get it tight enough to hold... the screws wont be tight so they just back out... and your tip falls off... happened to me before and i saw it fall off.... and i just thought... WELL its jacked up grinding down the road no way its good anymore so i just kept driving!

my tip has 3 U pieces of metal with a bolt on each one.... slap a socket onto that sucker and you can put enough force on them suckers to bend IN your stock piping and thiers no way that suckers coming off! and if you realy scared of it coming off or geting kicked off or stolen... jsut put a few tach welds on that sucker!

TBon3 08-26-2007 03:38 PM

6 Attachment(s)
So I finally went out and did. Love the results. The Teg muffler is a pretty noticeable giant, but now it's invisible. For those skeptical on doing it, I highly recommend it as a cheap mod until you can upgrade your exhaust. Oh, and get a tip:D

Paint!
Attachment 32817

Black!
Attachment 32818

Where'd the muffler go?
Attachment 32819

Tip'd!
Attachment 32820
Attachment 32821
Attachment 32822