HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Inside and Out (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/inside-out-9/)
-   -   why does paint chip so easy !!! (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/inside-out-9/why-does-paint-chip-so-easy-74189/)

madjoker14 03-17-2009 10:35 AM

why does paint chip so easy !!!

What's up everyone, so I had changed my civics oem color from gray/ silver to a 2tone black n blue, but what I have noticed is that the piant chips way too easy, I did paint the car in 65d weather at the time but besides that,

I painted also a my honda badge in my basement at 85d temp,and after I was done and 3 days cure I droped it and a little corner chip,

I was pissed but what do you guys make of this,I'm I not applying. Something that allows the paint to chip.

Tiran 03-17-2009 10:44 AM

This may be a dumb question, but you put on a clear coat right?

sfazngiants 03-17-2009 11:57 AM

it also depends on your prep work and paint quality

WellFedHobo 03-17-2009 12:20 PM

^+1 Did you sand the surface of the whole car pretty well, then add primer? (no rudeness intended, but those are two important steps.)

madjoker14 03-17-2009 04:04 PM

lol yea i added the clear coat, i added 4 just to be safe and yea i sanded the entire car (1st mistake) and primered it completely

but i hit my door with a pole and this big chunk just came right off,if i was to do that with the oem paint i bet most likly that wouldnt happen.

but what do you guys make of this??

sfazngiants 03-17-2009 08:36 PM

my friend opened the door and hit the fire hydrants, the part that stick, out and it left a small chipped paint mark on the door.

SPLAT 03-18-2009 02:00 PM

Paint should never chip, unless it was not done right the first time.

mudferret 03-18-2009 02:15 PM

The front end of a Civic tends to be a magnet for rock chips either way.

But it sounds like you didn't prep properly or didn't apply the paint in the optimum temp/humidity. Regarding the emblem, pound for pound a chrome, or chromed plastic emblem takes the most prep of anything. If/when you redo it make sure it's scuffed, and consider hitting it with adhesion promoter before you prime/paint.

I'm often impatient and have to remind myself constantly that painting is 90% prep.

ej6buddy 03-18-2009 03:01 PM

You need to add a flex agent in the paint mixture before you apply it on parts such as side skirts, bumpers, lips, etc. If you don't, then there's your problem. Prep work is key in any paint jobs life span. That's why factory paint is always best.

madjoker14 03-18-2009 04:25 PM

Yup you guys are right, thats why when a paint job is done the right way its a piece of art but, for the bumpers i did use an epoxy primer and the paint itself is urethane base (the guy at the store told me its very flexible paint)

but at this point where the paint cured and its all sayd n done with, theres no doing anything for it correct?, i am plaining on re-doing the paint job later on but what agents do you add to the paint to make it much flexible and i guess closes to OEM paint, (despite the bake it at like 200 degrees)

I wish my car came black and blue from the factory lol that would b sick :)