The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Bands/Instruments/Recording

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 10:50 PM
Default Bands/Instruments/Recording

This thread is for general conversation about any bands you might be in (or have been in), instruments you play, recording equipment, and anything in between.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:53 PM

convo started from some off-topic chat in my project thread:

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
I called up Sam Ash in Orlando (music store) and they have the guitar I want on the display wall... the guy went and looked at it for me and said there's two small scratches on the back so he knocked 50 bucks off the price (and the price was already over $100 off MSRP to begin with). SCORE! I put it on layaway over the phone by putting $75 down (so they would put it up out of reach on the wall and reserved for me), and i'll pay the rest/pick it up Monday. I know it's not car related but whatever. I will post pics.
Teaser pic:
Originally Posted by Lewy2k
Just wait until you play it you will forget you even have a car. Well, almost.
yea that thing is sick, I can't wait to have it. 6 days!
Originally Posted by rc2904
Excellent! I decided to expand a little and get myself a bass. Gettin this baby on payday.
Nice! I love my friend's ESP guitar, I imagine their basses are great too. We're starting a band... that's what finally motivated me to spend the cash on the guitar i've wanted for a long time. We need a singer though (or screamer, whatever you want to call it).
Vocalist
I played guitar for 2 years before I played with anyone else... but when I did, it's unreal. It makes playing a million times more fun and you feel like you learn much faster. If you havent jammed with friends before then you'll love it.
Yea me and my other friend who plays guitar have been chilling and working on stuff but on saturday, the first time we jammed with our drummer, it was simply amazing. My creativity soared at that moment and now for some reason i'm good at making up stuff.
Exactly. Its as if something heightens your creativity and instincs. Everything flows better by feeding off eachother either by opinion or just playing music.
Yeah ever since my first ESP guitar ive been hooked so I just couldnt bring myself to get any other kind of bass. Next ill have to procure myself a good peavey bass head. My 5150 guitar head is a hell of a lot louder than anything else ive tried and it just cuts right through all the noise from the other instruments. I'll have to record a sample of my bands stuff for you sometime trust. You may like it.
Speaking of recording, do you have any idea what I should use for recording the entire band at once, just to be able to hear it again?

I guess a bunch of mics and a USB mixer for my computer would work, right? What should I use for recording the guitars? Our amps don't have line outs on them except for a headphone jack but when you use that the sound only comes out the headphones. I have a microstack so my amp has an actual head on it and I guess I could just put a splitter on the head's outputs so it would go to the mixer and the amp? What would you recommend doing?
DI box If you have two outputs on your amp you can run one to your speaker cabinet and the other to a di box (reduces the noise to line level). It sounds a lot cleaner for live sets to run to the mixing board through one of these than to mic your amp.
Behringer V-Amp I used this for just about everything. You can run guitar to this and use it for distortion, effects, noise gate etc. One output can go to your amp on its clean channel and the other you can either plug straight into the mic jack on your pc to record or run it to the mixing board for shows. Im definately getting the bass version of this if I decide im gonna stick with bass.

Both of these have some 'cabinet emulation' feature that gives the mic'd amp sound without all the stage noise and feedback of a mic'd amp. You can turn it on or off depending on preference or you can get a passive DI box for a lot cheaper if you want to skip the cab emulation altogether.
Originally Posted by danomatic93
We used to do one recording together and then individually record while listening to the same recording. That method is okay for demos.
Well my head has 2 outputs, but I have 2 speaker cabinets. (I need to use both speakers while practicing to be able to hear myself over the drums)
What if I ran a splitter on one of the head's outputs and then run that to a mixer input? Would that work?
But wait... doesn't a mixer allow you to put the mixer between the head and the cabinets so that there is a mixer output that goes straight to the cabinet? (and then it would communicate with the computer via USB).
I have a MacBook Pro with Garage Band on it so i'll be using that. I learned how to use it. I downloaded Logic Studio 9 but that's way too difficult for me to figure out right now. I want to be able to focus on playing right now, not learning how to record it.

But then the other problem is that my friend's amp is just a little amp and it doesn't have a head so all of the stuff is internal. It doesn't have an output besides headphones.

Basically what I want to do for now is just record our live sessions but with decent enough SQ to hear things clearly... that's where the mixer comes in, plus I can master the audio with Garage Band afterwards. I don't want to record tracks at separate times if I can help it. It makes the music feel artificial.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:20 PM

My roommate, his friend, and I played around a bit in college. Colt had a 4 track recorder, a couple of guitars, and a keyboard. Ben had 9 bass guitars including a 70's P bass and a really nice Fender jazz bass. Colt also bought a drum set at one point. I helped record a few things and played rhythm guitar for a little. Nothing special, just random jamming. Ben went on to make a whole album of noise music.

For the most part, they had me fixing bad cables because I suck at guitar lol. All you have to do is unscrew the ends, desolder the bad wires, cut, strip, and resolder them well. Works like new. They had a 25 foot cable given to them and I turned it into two 10 foot cables and a couple of little pedal cables. I also did some minor electrical work on my roommate's Les Paul.

Now that I think about it, I also repaired the neck and put the bridge back on one of his acoustic guitars. It was a piece of trash that was painted to make it sound dead. Since it was totally ruined he gave it to me. I put it all back together and as far as I know, he still plays it today.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:51 AM
Snail'n Admin

wait for tony to get in on this

Old 09-15-2009, 11:22 AM
March 2010 ROTM

I just got a Schecter Damien 7 string in Satin black a couple months ago. Sounds pretty good. When my band recorded last, we did a rough track all together, then went back and individually recorded to that.

Can be heard here... www.myspace.com/scaphated